1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tree removal

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Flatbedford, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Last week I saw an Asplundh pickup truck on my street. There was a trail of orange ribbons on trees and branches behind it. When I got to my house I saw that one of the stems of the Norway Maple From Hell at my house was tagged. I have been wanting to get rid of this tree for years, but with it being so close to the house and the powerlines I couldn't do it myself, and we really don't have the money right now. I went out and bought a roll of orange ribbon and wrapped the bigger stem to make sure the whole thing would be going. On Monday we got a notice from Con Ed that the whole tree would be removed!
    This thing was a monster! We are so happy to have it gone, for free! They left all the big stuff. Most of the tree is so twisted and full of knots and little suckers that I won't even attempt hand splitting. I took what looked splittable and I'll let Asplundh take the rest. They left a bunch of other stuff behind that I will be collecting in th enext week or so.
    Some before and after shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What they left
    [​IMG]
    What I took.
    [​IMG]
    I guess I am a firewood snob now. Or, maybe I am just spoiled by all the easy splitting Red and White Oak I have been scrounging for the last few months. Nice to be far enough ahead that I can be picky, even with stuff dropped on my side yard!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    cool pics and good thinking on the ribbon buying part ;-P
  3. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I think they were gonna take the whole thin anyway, but, I wasn't going to take any chances.
  4. Bobbin

Bobbin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So. Me.
    Yeah, I like the orange ribbon thing, too! I'm impressed. Having seen what can happen with the town or state decides to "cheap out" you could have been left with a real mess, lol.

And I'll be you were some glad to see that thing gone for nothing. That would have been an expensive one to remove. We have one that needs attention and I'm not looking forward to the "tab", at all.
  5. timfromohio

timfromohio Minister of Fire

Nice score. Doesn't get better than free wood dropped right in the yard!
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That will bring a lot of light in the yard. I'm curious, where did you shoot the 'before' picture from. Looks like you climbed a tree or a tower.
  7. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I have an old bridge in front of the house. It is closed to vehicular traffic but gets us across railroad tracks and to the Hudson River about 1500' away.

Attached Files: