trees and draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2006
I've got plenty of trees around the North, East and West sides of my house. Some (trunks) as close as 25' to my chimney . I'm wondering how much this might affect draft?

I have literally NO back yard. You walk 10' behind the house and it's trees as far as you can see in either direction, and I have no problems with draft.

front_yard_1.jpg

Anyone who's worked outside in a wooded area in the winter will tell you that even if those trees are bare, they do significantly reduce wind, and by extension, draft. Conifers obviously a lot more than deciduous.
However, cutting down trees around my house would be one of the last things I'd do to address a poor draft situation. Outside air kit, insulated liner, chimney extensions, and specially designed chimney caps come to mind.
I have a stand of large pines (I walked off a downed one at 80 ft.) north and west of my property that I'm sure affect my house and chimney. I've never seen a snow drift in my yard simply because there's so little wind. But clearing out the area would also increase heat loss from the increased wind--especially for older houses like mine. Ya gotta love raking all those leaves right? :bug:

Obviously a chimney doesn't need wind to have draft. If you have inconsistent draft only when it is windy, it could also be the building at fault. Improper roof venting can create a negative pressure in the home as can a leaky building envelope. Seldom is the wind just so to cause it to blow down the flue and for when it does, there are special caps to mitigate it.

Here's a picture to put it in perspective.

Attachments

• sept 09 011.jpg
    sept 09 011.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 207
Probably affect TV reception more if you are OTA , rather than cable or satellite.

I have a similar situation. The draft is excellent and the
wind does not affect it.

Enjoy your stove and burn wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.