Trigger pulled! Woodstock...couple questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Keystone is on its way. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. :coolsmile:

I'd like to ask Todd and others familiar with the Keystone/Fireview a couple of things:

--I called Woodstock with the intention of ordering the "charcoal" cast color but they were out of stock so I got the metallic blue. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks more gray than blue. I think I might end up really liking the color. Anyone seen the metallic blue in person? What did you think?

--I saw the cat thermometer on the Woodstock accessories page. It's a Condar, and they say it will fit both the Keystone and Fireview. I'm going to order some other stuff from Condar so I figured I'd get my cat thermo and one for my SIL's Fireview from them. The face of the one on the Condar site look a little different, but I'm assuming the probe will be the same diameter and construction quality, or even the same thermo, as the one from Woodstock. But what length probe do I need??

--I'm having them deliver the stove to where I work, then I'll unload it with a forklift and put it on my 5x8 trailer. I think I can get a couple of 2x10s to ramp it up about 24" into the house. I guess I'll rent an appliance dolly from Home Depot to handle this big little stove...

Did I mention that I'm excited? :cheese:

Buster Leitov said:

Lol, there's nothing like a proud papa!

Congrats! I can't imagine you will anything but delighted, especially since you're already familiar with cats. (No, this new EPA stove sucks! Posts. :) )

Think of the Egyptians--ramps, levers, ropes, and rollers--and you'll be home free.

Have fun!

RenovationGeorge said:
Think of the Egyptians--ramps, levers, ropes, and rollers--and you'll be home free.
Wouldn't it be easier to get aliens to help me? :cheese:

definitely have the dolly to help move it around - we love our Keystone and we use it mostly 24/7 except today because its going to be above freezing for the first time in a long time - probably will clean the cat and check chimney pipe

Leave it on the pallet as long as possible. Anything that has high wieght like a stove will be more manageable contained in a larger frame. Plus, if you have a hearth to put the stove on, you won't have to lift as far, or at all.

kayakkeith said:
probably will clean the cat and check chimney pipe
I'm going to set up my new stack to allow me to do easier maintenance. Probably will incorporate a tee into the rear vent hearth mount. My Dutchwest is back in the fireplace with a top vent, but I'm getting tired of moving the stove every time I want to clean the pipe. But I'll have to hook up the Keystone to my old stack when it arrives, just to see how it reacts in the same setup. The suspense is killing me! :lol:

Congrats, Buster! I haven't seen the blue in person, but there's a blue Keystone in their brochure that looks sharp. Even if you had seen a new one in person, all the colors "flatten" after heating, so it's hard to know exactly how it'll look until it's been burned in. The stone they're using is kinda blue, so I think it'll look pretty darn good! :) I'd just go ahead and get the thermometers from Woodstock. They give you 10% off any accessories with a new stove and include shipping with the stove. I'm sure you got the 7-6" reducer already. Other things to consider: rear heat shield, mantle shield, top stones, Pilgrim ash bucket for SIL if she doesn't already have one. . .perfect match for the Fireview.

Buster Leitov said:

I'd like to ask Todd and others familiar with the Keystone/Fireview a couple of things:

--I called Woodstock with the intention of ordering the "charcoal" cast color but they were out of stock so I got the metallic blue. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks more gray than blue. I think I might end up really liking the color. Anyone seen the metallic blue in person? What did you think?

--I saw the cat thermometer on the Woodstock accessories page. It's a Condar, and they say it will fit both the Keystone and Fireview. I'm going to order some other stuff from Condar so I figured I'd get my cat thermo and one for my SIL's Fireview from them. The face of the one on the Condar site look a little different, but I'm assuming the probe will be the same diameter and construction quality, or even the same thermo, as the one from Woodstock. But what length probe do I need??

--I'm having them deliver the stove to where I work, then I'll unload it with a forklift and put it on my 5x8 trailer. I think I can get a couple of 2x10s to ramp it up about 24" into the house. I guess I'll rent an appliance dolly from Home Depot to handle this big little stove...

Congratulations Buster! You have just purchased one very fine stove!

You metallic blue may end up like our metallic brown; it looks more gray. On the probe, I have never felt one was needed. We use one thermometer on the the stove top (center) and one on the flue and that gives us good feedback. I could easily run the stove without either but they are helpful.

Your stove will have the steel cat so it will be a bit different from the ceramic cat. You can engage a lot sooner with the steel cat.

On the moving of the stove, this is how we did it:

Like you, we had the stove loaded onto our trailer. At home I was able to unload it by myself as I simply slid it onto a furniture dolly. When we were ready to install I had a couple neighbors help. We used 2 x 10's for getting the stove up onto the porch and then into the house.

Trigger pulled! Woodstock...couple questions.

It was not until we were ready to lift it onto the heart that we dismantled the crate. Then we used either 2 x 4's or 4 x 4's under the stove. One fellow on each end and me in the center making sure it did not tip. Lifting up onto our 16" raised hearth proved to be rather easy. However, we did remove the top lid, the firebox door and the firebrick before lifting it onto the hearth. That was simple as was putting them back on.

I think the furniture or piano dolly is a bit easier than using the appliance dolly but both will work.

Enjoy!

EDIT: added picture

Congrats, you will love the new stove. I think I'd pass on the cat probe, I have found it hard to read especially with a fireplace install since the probe inserts into the back of the stove. Your better off just watching the fire along with the stove top and pipe temps. I find I watch my pipe temps more than the stove top.

Too bad they were out of the Charcoal but the blue looks pretty sharp as well. I kept both of my stoves in the crate and used an appliance dolly all the way to the hearth then took the crate apart and slid them onto the hearth inch by inch.

Don't forget the pictures and keep us updated how it works out.

I have a Fireview in blue and still like the color. My stove is downstairs in a room with blue carpet so I think it brings out the color a little more. Here is an old pic

Attachments

• Trigger pulled! Woodstock...couple questions.
    PICT0002.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 495
I'm a little late to this thread, but you have a mighty fine stove. With my Keystone, I picked it up at the freight terminal in my truck, rolled the thing with a dolly off the truck and onto my utility trailer via it's ramp, off the trailer into the basement, out of the basement (months later) and back on the trailer, off the trailer and onto my front porch via trailer's ramp and into my living room - whew!

I kept the stove on the pallet until I scooted it onto the hearth pad. My brother and I did the heavy lifting and my boys held doors open and handed us stuff we needed. One of the most difficult things was just to rock the dolly back onto it's wheels! We had to scotch the wheels to keep them from rolling backwards when we went to tilt the dolly back.

I don't use a probe thermometer on my stove - only surface ones. My initial set-up was top vent, but when I put a liner in my chimney, I switched to rear vent - straight out the stove and into the chimney. My horizontal pipe is double wall, but I still use a surface thermometer on it. I put it on top of the pipe and get pretty useful readings.

Good luck with your stove,
Bill

Buster Leitov said:

:cheese:

Uhaul rents appliance dollies for 10 bucks a day. I just used one for my new stove and was able to move it by myself.

Congrats on the new stove!!! My wife and I went back and forth on the charcoal and the blue metallic for a while before deciding (by just a hair) on the charcoal. I think the woodstock stoves are just beautiful and would look good in just about any color (except maybe pink or neon orange :) ).

You know about the aliens? They helped me get mine in... :bug:

My plan for moving the stove was less than ideal, but I got lucky.
I decided to just pick it up at the freight terminal. I had one buddy lined up to help me get the stove in the house but when I called him saying I was on my way home, he told me that another guy he knows was working in the area, and would stop by to help. After they arrived, my neighbor drove past. I flagged him down and asked if he could help. He said "Yeah, I'll get my little utility cart." :coolsmile: So we just slid it off my trailer onto the cart and up to the door. Then we eased it onto the appliance dolly, hoisted it up a couple of stairs, and wheeled it to the hearth.

Backwoods Savage said:
Your stove will have the steel cat so it will be a bit different from the ceramic cat. You can engage a lot sooner with the steel cat.
I'm not sure if it's steel or not. Looks kind of tan or brown, with honeycomb walls about 1/16" thick. I assumed that the steel would have thinner walls. Nice view of the cat for monitoring purposes, at any rate....

Den said:
I haven't seen the blue in person, but there's a blue Keystone in their brochure that looks sharp. Even if you had seen a new one in person, all the colors "flatten" after heating...They give you 10% off any accessories with a new stove and include shipping with the stove.
Yep, it looks pretty close to the Keystone pic in the brochure, more gray than blue. I tried to take a pic with a point-and-shoot, but the flash pic came out more blue than it appears in person. Same thing may have happened in CTburning's pic. Then I tried with a halogen work light, but it came out looking brown.
I'm really happy with the color of the stove.
I missed that discount on accessories with purchase, so I passed when I ordered. Woodstock said they'd hold the discount for me. That was nice of them. I'll at least get a rake, gasket kit, and maybe an OAK....

leeave96 said:
My brother and I did the heavy lifting
525 lbs, 2 guys?!! My spinal discs would be embedded in the wall. My arms would be so stretched out that I'd be mistaken for a chimp.
Did you guys ever consider doing superhero work on the side? :lol:

I've only taken the top slats out of the crate to make sure everything survived shipping OK. Looks good. The cat has a fairly open inlet screen, but still doesn't look like the cat will be exposed to much flame. Maybe the cat will be closer to lighting off when I close the bypass; My Dutchwest takes a while to light off. No matter how hot I burn to establish fire in a reload, the cat thermo never gets above 300*. It take a while with the bypass closed to get over 500*

Later I'll take the side of the crate off so I can open the load door and see the inside of the fabled tiny firebox, and look at the goodies in the cardboard box....

Glad your happy with the color of your new stove. You should have no problem knowing when the cat lites off. You will see it through the glass, one of the advantages of the Keystone.

Now hurry up and get that beauty installed and fired up! ;-)

Just thinking. Does anyone know the outside dimensions of the crated Fireview and the weight crated? Just trying to make sure I will be able to make it thru the openings taking it into the new house when the time comes.
Thanks,
Jbird

Jbird, I simply do not remember but a quick call to Woodstock will get that answer. Perhaps somebody else remembers. Maybe Todd?

Specifications:

Crated Weights:

Keystone, Palladian,
Classic, and Fireside
Franklin Gas Stove ...
500 pounds

Crated Dimensions:

Woodstoves: 30â€W,
37â€H, 24â€D

Woody Stover said:
RenovationGeorge said:
Wouldn't it be easier to get aliens to help me? :cheese:

That would be an option . . . I have been told you may find some aliens in front of Home Depot or Lowes (although I cannot seem to find any here . . . everyone I see there is not green with big, bulging, bald heads . . . beats me where all of these aliens may be.)

In any case, here's what you need to say should you see these aliens . . .

Hola amigo allí. Quería hacer un poco de dinero por ayudarme a mover una estufa muy, muy fuerte... y hace no preocupación que no estoy con el INS.

:) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.