1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Trip to Lebanon NH

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Oldhippie, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Thanks for the tips on start up too. I noticed yesterday during clean out down at the flue clean out that the ash dust was pulled up the chimney.. so I know I've got a good draft, last year I just used that smoke dragon a lot, and I know I had a tendency to burn it too cool for clean burning as then it started melting the candles. I know the Fv will go a long way fixing that, as it is the right size and the right technology.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Oldhippie

Thanks! That is an 1875 Map of the village of Ashby Massachusetts. My batteries are dead but I'll post a close up of it, as well as the write up next to it which describes some of the history of the town.

Lot's of books in this house.. my wife was a High School English teacher and my son is a English Lit professor at UMass Lowell. (Now you know what side of the family the brains come from!)
    PapaDave, charly and raybonz like this.
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Beautiful set up you have there Steve, nice looking pup too, looks like my former dog.
    Oldhippie likes this.
  4. Oldhippie

Thanks weatherguy! The pup is actually a adoptee dog my daughter got from a shelter 6 years ago. She is here this weekend wedding dress shopping with her mother. I am puppy-sitting.

Hey, I have a question for you. Where did you buy your Homelite electric splitter?
  5. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I bought it used off a member here, I think he said he got it from Home Depot.
    Oldhippie likes this.
  6. Tenn Dave

Tenn Dave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Tennessee and New Jersey Shore
    That is a sweet setup.
    Oldhippie likes this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That is one beautiful install. You are going to love it.
    Oldhippie likes this.
  8. Oldhippie

Well, I couldn't wait any longer.. it really wasn't cold here, only 54'F outside. But after talking to my good friend Charley he brought up the point that IF there were to be any fumes from new cement and/or paint, better to get that done while it was still warm enough to open some windows and doors.

That's all I needed! LOL!

[​IMG]
    Tenn Dave, Lakeside, BrianK and 4 others like this.
  9. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Install looks great! Expect some paint curing smoke and smell especially from the stove pipe for the first half dozen fires. It's a good excuse to burn a fire even if you don't need it.

You may also want to protect your carpet with a hearth rug from the occasional ember flying out during reload. It doesn't happen often but it did to me a few times.
    charly and Oldhippie like this.
  10. Oldhippie

Not a bit of fumes on this first one, but you're right, the stove pipe is new as well, and that will give off some smell. Good idea about the carpet protector.. I used to load from the front. This will be easier loading from the side, but since I just put down new carpet, and there is less clearance there a carpet protector is a good idea.

Oh boy! More shopping!! :)
  11. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Looks even better with fire in it.
    Oldhippie likes this.
  12. Oldhippie

So no fumes, even though my nose has pretty much never recovered from many years of Marlboro and other less commercial substances. But, those days are gone, but I never got my sense of smell completely back. I can still tell when the farmers cultivate and fertilize there fields here in New England when I'm on the scooter, so it's not completely gone. :) I do expect some fumes as I get into the larger burns.

Here's a short vid, documenting my process. Enjoy until you get tired of looking at the pretty flames.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Lakeside, ddddddden and charly like this.
  13. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Makes me feel at home. Just wait until you do that with a full load of well seasoned hardwood.
  14. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    That is one pretty stove. Love the pattern of the soapstone, just beautiful.
  15. charly

charly Guest

Bet you feel much better now... ;lol;lol Your gonna love it! Can't wait to hear how you like the Fireview once she's up and rolling some smooth heat back at ya...
    ddddddden, Oldhippie and PapaDave like this.
  16. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Congrats Steve I love your whole setup! You're gonna love using your new stove and save yourself lots of work hauling wood too!

Ray
    Oldhippie likes this.
  17. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Makes me wish I had two chimneys so I could use my Fireview on days that aren't cool enough to need the Progress Hybrid.

The Fireviews are beautiful stoves. May you enjoy many warm evenings reading a good book in front of that lovely stove.
  18. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Yeah, I find that the bypass on this stove always makes it easy to get a good draft at startup/reload. When it's time to scoop ashes out of the stove, I fill a pie pan inside the firebox. As you have noticed, ash dust goes right up the flue.:)

+1. Very nice marbling in the stone. Mine has more irregular streaks, but I like mine too.;)

FWIW, I find the Fireview even more beautiful without the handle dangling from the lid. There's no good reason for opening the lid when the stove is hot anyhow. . .makes me think the handle must be a holdover from when the stove was a pre-EPA top-loader. You can clean the cat when the stove is warmish, but you should wear gloves for that manuever, making the handle unnecessary.==c
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  19. Oldhippie

My wife likes it better when it doesn't have the handle on too. It's amazing how the looks of this stove grows on you. It's really given our main living area a whole new personality and charm.

We haven't even started heating the house with it yet and we are glad we bought it!
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Tenn Dave and raybonz like this.
  20. charly

charly Guest

When I had my Fireview I never hung the handle either.. I'm going to miss her;sick... Looks like she has a great home at Steve's place now... And I know she will treat him to surprisingly nice heat and the pleasure of just a joy of a stove to burn.....
  21. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Don't make it a habit to close the knob on the door with your bare hands Steve. Don't ask me how I know...
    Oldhippie and charly like this.
  22. charly

charly Guest

I always just used my gloves,, didn't want to mark the stove door handle up with the tool they gave you, but that's just me! Now I'm glad I didn't , I kept the handle in nice shape for Steve's bare hands ;lol
    BrianK likes this.
  23. Oldhippie

Ya! HaHa!!! Thanks Brian and Charly, I promise to use gloves. I go through about 4 pair of the farm gloves every year between handling the wood and stove. I've also got a couple of Real wood stove gloves that I do use when I've got some major operation, like cleaning out ash and such.

But yeah.. I've got a few battle scars from 35 years of burning... which is probably why I break the rules here and there. :p
    charly likes this.
  24. charly

charly Guest

I just buy welding gloves...
    Oldhippie likes this.
  25. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That stove and hearth really look nice. Enjoy that pretty heater.

And I am glad it stayed in the "family".
    Tenn Dave and Oldhippie like this.