Triple ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
not great pics to ID from, but I'm thinking I see Norway Maple(for sure), and perhaps Mulberry(not for sure)...

I think the stuff with the dark heartwood is mulberry, possibly black locust. And the other (just guessing) could be maple or bradford pear.

Thinking I see some Hackberry in there. Looks like there's some "corky wings" on the bark of one section. Kevin

Thanks guys. Sorry that I jumped the gun and didn't include split pics.

The yellow wood is mustard yellow inside.
Nothing exciting about the dark wood.

I didn't start splitting the bucks with the red stain in the very center yet.

Triple ID

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iceman2424
The thin-barked rounds with the red center are most likely boxelder

Here's the splits from the rounds with the red center.

Triple ID

And here's another addition I'm curious about.

Triple ID

Thanks fellas.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
That yellow wood is Mulberry. Also seeing Norway Maple, and the darker stuff I'm not too sure about.

Reactions: JoPy
The last one is birch

Splits with reddish center aren’t boxelder it looks like Norway maple. Yellow one looks like mulberry. The gray smoother barked one looks like a birch and I just don’t know about the dark centered one.

Last pic looks like cherry to me instead of birch. Have alot of it in PA like that. Nice firewood if it is. Difficult to split sometimes. Around here we call it sweet cherry.

Reactions: Woody5506
Last pic is not any variety of cherry that I have ever seen.

Last picture appears to either be gray or white birch . . . although the split standing up looks a bit like cherry to my eye.

Last pic looks like cherry to me, I have a big one in my yard almost identical to that bark I can send a pic of later. Not positive what kind though I've heard it be referred to as white cherry.

Any chance they are popular? Just cut a large branch of my neighbors. Thinner ends (5" rounds) had red center, larger ones were yellow.

Here's the cherry in my yard that to me looks very similar to the last ID pic, along with some splits from that same type I took down last spring.
Triple ID
Triple ID
Triple ID
Triple ID

Thanks Woody,

Very similar, I will call that a match anyday.

Im still stuck on the ID for the dark wood its got everyone stumped!