Trouble with Avalon Astoria

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nepaburner

Nov 10, 2014
northeast pennsylvania
Avalon Astoria
Serial# 2303-930751
Made on March 2006

I am having trouble with my stove starting. When i start my stove in manual (dont have a t-stat) . It will go threw the normal start up fan comes on pellets drop down then after a minute i can hear a click then I am getting a fault light and #2 light . From looking around the forum I know it is a flow switch fault. I have cleaned the chimney, the blower, all of the tunnels I can get to, and cleaned the nipple at the vacuum switch and checked the hose. I can see the vac switch working. I don't know what to check next. Thank you in advance.

Sometimes it will light and run for about ten minutes. But if we try to restart it it faults out in less than a minute. I will look over the troubleshooting guide and see if i can find anything in there thanks

Update

After following the trouble shooting guide I think I have a bad control board. Is this a common problem? My stove is in basement so it can get damp during the summer. Should I or can I upgrade to the " maintenance required" control board? What is a good price on a new one. Thank you for all the help.

Thanks i planned on checking again before i buy anything. The shop where i bought my stove gave me a price of $159. I just need to drive an hour to their other shop to get it. I am going to replace the gasket on the door just to rule that out. It passes the dollar bill test but its old so i might as well replace that for peice of mind. Thank you again for all of your help.

Keep us posted on how you make out ... Good price on the board! Do you have a surge protector on the stove? If not get one of those too!

By the way, welcome to the forum! We like to see pics of stoves installed:)

Sorry for the delay. I got the new control panel, when I tried to start it up it did the same thing. I was pretty angry that I just wasted the money on a board, so I walked away for a little bit to cool down. Right before I went to bed I went down to try it again. I opened the air door all the way and it started. It has been running ever since with no problems. Even on low which it would never do before. To start my stove now all I need to do is open the vent all of the way and once it starts move it back to normal. Does this help narrow down my real problem ? I made sure all of my smoke and co detectors where workingjust in case but like I said I have had no problems for the past 3 days. Thanks for the help.

I had a similar problem but cannot recall the error code. For me the auger was jammed. I took all the pellets out and removed the Auger cover and there was caked dust in the auger. A few pellets were getting through but the jam would cause the error.

Have you taken off your exhaust fan and just felt around in there?

Well its back again !!! Maintenance light and #2. My trick of opening the air all of the way won't work anymore. I think my stove is cleaner than the day it was put in, so I don't think it is a cleaning issue. I took the auger cover off, there was a little sawdust in there but nothing even close to a jam. As soon as it didn't light I took the pot out to empty the old pellets out to make sure the auger was dropping pellets. The back of thebppot wasn't even warm. So my problem is either before the igniter starts or the igniter it self. I checked for resistance and the wiring and they both seem fine. Could it be my exhaust fan? It looks like it is running fine, there is no delay or anything when it starts. But have no way of checking rpms or anything.

By manually do you mean at the switch? That is the only way I use. I dont have a tstat. If I keep trying to light the stove 5/6 times ( OFF, MANUAL. START) after it faults out, the pellets will light, but it will fault out again. The pot is pretty full of pellets by then, so it will burn for a while sometimes long enough for the blower to turn on. The flame looks good nice thin flames, But even when that happens the fault light still comes on. That is why i am thinking it is the ignitor. Maybe i will hook my meter to it and see what readings i get. Maybe it is not getting up to temp fast enough or at all.

Does anyone know if the stove is programed to fault if the igniter doesnt reach a certain temp in a givin amount of time?

What about the flow switch, if you take the hose off while it is running will the stove instantly fault or is there a grace period?

Thanks again for all of the help and ideas. I am at the point of just putting new parts on and hope something works. I stopped by my dealer today to get prices on stuff. I tried to get some ideas off of him but he just said its a cleaning issue. When I said my stove is cleaner than it ever has been he was still trying to sell me a $350 service call. That doesnt include any parts they have to be replaced like gaskets or door seals. Thats just a good in depth cleaning. So i have a few more dollars to spend before the wife says " I told you just call them" so thanks again for all of your help and input

Avalon Astoria
Serial# 2303-930751
Made on March 2006

I am having trouble with my stove starting. When i start my stove in manual (dont have a t-stat) . It will go threw the normal start up fan comes on pellets drop down then after a minute i can hear a click then I am getting a fault light and #2 light . From looking around the forum I know it is a flow switch fault. I have cleaned the chimney, the blower, all of the tunnels I can get to, and cleaned the nipple at the vacuum switch and checked the hose. I can see the vac switch working. I don't know what to check next. Thank you in advance.

You should have a temp snap disc behind the burn pot on internal guts of stove check that out it is like 10 to 20 dollars. It has to get a certain temp to open and complete curcuit.

Hey Scounts this thread almost a year old,think he prob. got it fixed by now.Where are you in MT? I am on Bozeman Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.