Troy Built 27 Ton Log Splitter @ Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Was picking up tile and saw this at the front of the store. $1,399 for 27 tons. Although I hand split and enjoy it, something about wood processing machines that I love.

Attachments

• Troy Built Log Splitter.jpg
    Troy Built Log Splitter.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,196
I have one and its on about 130 cords or so. Never one issue.

Use the search function here on Hearth for

troy bilt weld

and you will probably find yourself motivated to look at other makes/ models...

Hi -

I'm brave enough to run the Troy Built ; ). Mine has been a joy. Teenagers bounced large rounds on the split holder/brackets and sheared the bolts to the beam. Once I had them replace the bolts with Grade 8 bolts they didn't bounce the rounds and they discovered vertical splitting for large stuff. I even found a milk crate back there the other day!

Mine gets all the use for several large households...

Mike

I've seen a tree top drop on one and its still splitting wood. LOL

Stax, watch craigslist. I looked and looked and just couldn't fork out the big money for a splitter. One evening my buddy calls me and says "get on craigslist, there's a splitter right up the road for sale". So I looked at it and it was a Swisher 22 ton Vert/Horizontal. It was used THREE TIMES and put back in the garage. Full of synthetic hydraulic fluid, and even still had over a year left on the factory warranty. Picked it up for 800 bucks! In the past three years (between me and several friends) I have split over 60 cord in that thing, and it is a lifesaver. Look around before you drop the jingle on a brand new one!!

No time soon Scotty, just saw some wood equiPment and took a picture. I've got years befOre I do that. Jags...I can't even change the oil in my car.

Jags said:
Or build one: $276 total cost to me.
Jags that monster looks like it could split granite!! That's a classic overkill job, just how I like 'em!!!

Stax said:
Jags...I can't even change the oil in my car.

Hmmm...then maybe building one isn't such a good idea. %-P

Stax said:
No time soon Scotty, just saw some wood equiPment and took a picture. I've got years befOre I do that. Jags...I can't even change the oil in my car.
Yeah I burned wood for almost a decade before I took the leap and bought one. I still love to hand-split whenever I can, but it is REALLY nice to know I have a backup plan! Take yer time and when you do buy one, there are deals to be had out there.....

Scotty Overkill said:
Jags said:
Jags that monster looks like it could split granite!! That's a classic overkill job, just how I like 'em!!!

That is actually my little/light duty one. Big beam is deceiving and being short and stout probably doesn't help either. My big boy:

Attachments

• 2006_0304sm.jpg
    2006_0304sm.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 534
Jags said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Jags said:

That is actually my little/light duty one. Big beam is deceiving and being short and stout probably doesn't help either. My big boy:
I love 'em both!!

I also have the Troybult 27 ton splitter. I was somewhat leary when I got it about two years ago. It has been a good splitter and has split everything I've thrown at it. Sometimes it works to split the really big stuff but so far everything has fallen to the Troybult. Have had no issues with it at all. The Honda engine is easy to start even after it sits in a cold barn for a month. One thing I did do was change the front strut with a adjustable jack because I thought the old one was a good finger chopper. Price was right. So far I've split 25 cords with it so I'm a happy customer. David

how you build for 276 you got a parts list? so i can gather and make one also.

greythorn3 said:
how you build for 276 you got a parts list? so i can gather and make one also.

Once you get his list you're going to need to find an equipment boneyard and git to pickin'!

Captain Hornet said:
I also have the Troybult 27 ton splitter. I was somewhat leary when I got it about two years ago. It has been a good splitter and has split everything I've thrown at it. Sometimes it works to split the really big stuff but so far everything has fallen to the Troybult. Have had no issues with it at all. The Honda engine is easy to start even after it sits in a cold barn for a month. One thing I did do was change the front strut with a adjustable jack because I thought the old one was a good finger chopper. Price was right. So far I've split 25 cords with it so I'm a happy customer. David

Same here but 125+ cords. Funny how people talk down about them! :lol: And split this curly oak.

Attachments

• wood hauler.jpg
    wood hauler.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 308
  • zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 320
Status
Not open for further replies.