1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Truck loads of logs

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mtarbert, Jan 29, 2012.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    You make most of us here look like amateurs :)
    2 - 3 hundred cord a year. AWESOME!
    Nice to see "How the big guys do it"

Got a question??
    Do you tell your buyers/customers it's "seasoned wood" OR "it needs a couple years stacked to season before burning" ?
    I'm guessing your customers come back, so they are knowledgeable wood burners :)

Great photos
    Very nice set-up.
    Still lots of hard work even with a processor, got any pics of it working?
    Good post!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. greythorn3

greythorn3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alaska
    id like a couple hundred cords
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Ask him what saws he uses. :)
  4. fyrwoodguy

fyrwoodguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern central NH
    glad you like post!
    here's one of my favorite pic's of "the boy"....i started him on the processor at age 10
    they all want to know...."dry,seasoned or green".....i tell'em it's "ready to go"!!!! If the oak has been in the yard log length for 2-3 years, then it's seasoned.

Attached Files:

5. fyrwoodguy

Loc:
    eastern central NH
    it's helpfull to have it hice and straight,however if it's kinda like a rocking chair rail i can load 1 log at a time around on the back side of the processor into the feed chain,not off the deck. best wood is 24" in diameter on big end 21' long. best time so far to fill truck is 22 minutes. (which don't happen often) 2 cords
  6. fyrwoodguy

Loc:
    eastern central NH
    i'd love to help you out,but i think the delivery charge will choke'ya ;-)
    i bet wood is a lot easier to get in your area than here. i'd love to be in your area with my set-up.
    maybe when i re-tire %-P
  7. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Do you think he would charge too much extra to deliver to Carroll County? I'll take that phone number!
  8. fyrwoodguy

Loc:
    eastern central NH
    :bug:
    i'm surprised to see where your from......i'm located in carroll county too!!!!!!! :)
  9. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Oh good, why don't you get some firewood too? :lol:

There is a Carroll County in Georgia, as well. I'm talking about the Georgia in the US, not Russia of course... :roll:
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Really? Most folks here generally feel as though oak needs a couple of years bucked up, split and stacked before it burns very well in their EPA stoves . . . I cannot recall anyone saying that oak left in log length even for three years would be good to go in their woodstove without first being bucked up and split.

Great pics by the way . . .
  11. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Not trying to get to nosey, but do you pay $100 per cord log length to your facility or so you sell a cord, cut & split for $100
    At $100/cord knowledgeable wood burners could get a few years worth stacked up & seasoning so it would burn well in the new epa stoves.
    May help you move inventory if they knew how much better 2 years CSS wood burns. :)

I'm with FFJ, log length for 2 or 3 years don't mean it's dry enough to "burn well". I agree it's "seasoned" but dry??, That discussion goes on here all the time.
    If you sell 200/c per year, you'd need 600 cord stacked up, not feasible.
    & for you to get 2 to 3 years ahead is another ball game, maybe "another sport"

More great pictures, thanks for sharing them.

As far as Alaska, there are a few processors here, they buy wood in lot sales from the state, they log & haul when the ground is frozen. They Pay state less than $10/cord.
    Birch & spruce mix mostly, some alder & cottonwood. A few plots in the Willow area were processing last fall. Charge $1200 for a log length load, 10 cords of birch spruce mix.
    $250 cord for birch spruce mix Cut, split , delivered if in their area, Added delivery if over 10 miles I think.
  12. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Same here, I find that even oak rounds ( 12" X 24") after 3 years are soaking wet inside. Only the ends are dry, but 2" inches inside and its still very wet (30+ % MC ) . Actually I find that to be true with just about any hardwood species that I burn. Wood that is log length, especially hardwood, is not going be dry inside. It may certainly be drier than fresh cut logs, but probably not anywhere near 15-20% MC.
  13. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich

Dave, is a lot of your white birch dying up there? In the upper midwest, literally everywhere I drive I see white birch that is dead or dying.

Pat
  14. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Not that I've noticed, no big areas of dying birch anyway.
    We were hit with a spruce bark beetle after a few "warm winters" that devastated many large areas a few years back.
    We had some pretty warm summers the past 2 year & some bug was hitting the birch pretty hard.
    The leaves would look brownish spotted fall colored leaves in mid summer, but so far they bounce back come spring.
    Many areas have allot of old growth, & no fires to clean it out, so I see many old trees,
    hollow in the middle, then tops fall out & eventually the tree rots from the inside out.
    This cold winter may help, the cold should help reduce the infestation. :)
    The State cutting area (I've been working) has some healthy & some hollow & dead/rotten old growth.
    Local Forester says take everything usable . Create new browse for moose & new growth spruce & birch will replace it in a few decades.
    Pic of spruce beetle kill of a small area in the Kenai area.

Attached Files:

15. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    The summer brown spotting on the birch leaves sounds like birch leafminer. I have a few trees in my yard that get it every year. I've prety much given up fighting it. The stuff needed to kill the bugs is expensive and it would cost me at least $100/year just to try and knock them back a bit. The leaves start falling off the tree by June and the lawn looks like hell. I'm thinking about cutting it down this year. The starnge thing is that I've got at least a dozen birch trees around the house and the one tree is the only one thats really infected. i see only a few leaves affected on some of the other trees.

Wow, that beetle killed spruce is amazing...looks like they didn't miss a single tree !

Pat
  16. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Mtarbert, so did you get your wood yet?
  17. southbalto

southbalto Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mid-Atlantic
    Ill take that contact info too. I'm down near catonsville/ellivott city and would be happy to pay a substantial delivery fee if this is legit.
  18. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    I live in Darlington, Harford County, right by the Conowingo Dam. I'll take a load from this guy if it's still available... gotta check with the neighbords... maybe 2 loads.
  19. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  20. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Any updates bro? A lot of us are wondering what the outcome was.
  21. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    Update
    The load was delivered last Friday. cherry,pin oak, hickory and walnut. I cut some on Saturday ,today, and will finish up tomorrow After I get it stacked I will let you know how it measured out.
  22. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Wow, good and cheap firewood?!?!?!?!

I scrounge around and get most of my firewood for free from arborists in the city or from logging slash. Last year I came up short. The best deal I found last year for firewood was $180 a cord for split and 2 year barn dried doug fir, delivered. Most around here want more like $250 for that. The cord was a real 4x4x8, the guy stacks it in a 2 cord stakeside trailer and you can see what you are buying before he unloads it. If I run short again I will call him again. He is a retired state forestry guy.

Around here loggers sell truckloads of maple and oak green logs for $1200-1300. That cuts out to about 10 cords, split and stacked, or $120-130 a green cord. To me it seems better to just buy the seasoned stuff for $180 that is already dried and split, and by the cord as I need it. I do not need to store 10 cords of firewood , or need a splitter, or the time to buck and split the wood.
  23. colin022

colin022 New Member

Loc:
    Fallston,MD
    I'm in Fallston and would be interested in a load or two. PM me the name and number please.
  24. pcooper302

pcooper302 New Member

Loc:
    Newark, DE
    I also would like a name and number please
  25. Vanskills

Vanskills New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I cringe every time someone says " facecord." it's a made up term used primarily just to rip people off, no one around here even uses that term, I think its a easy thing