True North... Discontinued?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I noticed on the PE site a new local dealer so I went over to check out the t5 and TN. The TN wasn't in any brochures or on the floor. The staff had never heard of it. They called the distributor and they said it was discontinued.

I just checked the PE site and it is still up.... Odd.

Has anybody heard of this?

Matt

Paging the chimneysweeponline. Call in the lobby for Tom Oyen!

Reactions: PapaDave
Maybe they are just trying to separate lines? Kind of like not finding a Toyota at a Lexus dealership. You probably won't find a Drolet brochure at an Osburn dealership either.

Called the dealer just to let them know that PE stated they still made the stove. They are going to the PE site and will probably be wondering why their distributor stated it was discontinued. This could get interesting. They might not like missing out on a market segment. They are in the ghetto area of town so I doubt it would be a conscious decision they would make.

Isn't the TN made under the PE name? Wouldn't that be like a Toyota distributor deciding not to carry Camrys?

It is their business so they have every right to carry or not carry something. I'd never argue that. I believe them that their distributor said that.

Reactions: n3pro and jharkin
LOL, Looks like someone took a lunchbreak during a Photoshop session and forgot what they were doing.

Reactions: n3pro and jharkin
That is priceless.!

Reactions: n3pro
Ok, got a call from the guy. They can order one from Boston for $1050 and offer the super 27 for $1250. The 27 sounds like the better deal.

I called another dealer that just showed up and is located an hour away and he has a TN that was last years display for$900. I think I'll go take a look at it.

Buy that sucker. Be interesting to hear a comparison between it and your 30.

Reactions: PapaDave
That's a really good price on the 27. The baffle sure is nice, vs the tubes in the TN. I haven't looked really close, but are the primary and secondary air controls linked on the TN?

That is one heckuva deal on the Super 27. I'd go for it.

The only problem is the $$ isn't there at the moment. If I get a position this winter where I'll be spending a lot of time up at the cabin I'll make the funds available, but until then it's on the wish list. The Century can pull some heavy duty for now... It's been paid for for years.

No problem, the Century is a good value stove. If the PE is not in the cards right now, why are you calling around?

I originally wanted to get a look at them for a future purchase. It's a large enough purchase that I don't want to be impulsive about it.

The Century has been a great stove, especially when I consider the cost of it brand new was $242 after taxes. There are 2 small issues though. It's a bit small for it's application. The cabin (It was not purchased for the building it's in) is very exposed to the wind and the stove will be pushed hard to perform... especially when walking into a 10 degree building. The 2nd is floor protection. I have 3 sheets of Durock under it now. This isn't an issue while in use, but it can be a trip hazard in the small place during the summer. Placing a piece of sheet metal for ember protection on the floor and painting it to match would be much more practical.

I picked up our Castine and the F3CB for good prices at dealers that needed to move inventory. August is a good time to shop. Find a spa/stove company and walk in on an 85F Monday morning. Even the crickets will be napping.

Too good? That's $500 less than normal. I'd look for the flip side, I think, being the skeptic I am...

You're right, it was. They called back the next day and said it was really around $1600 and that they made a mistake. Not knowing the dealer side of things, maybe the steel box is $1200 and when you add on a door and legs, etc the price goes up to around $1600.

I don't know that I trust the dealer. Maybe he's new, because I never knew the shop existed and it's only a couple miles from my house. He doesn't know his products though and instead of just saying, "I don't know the answer to that." he was giving out incorrect information. He didn't understand why I didn't want to drop 1K on a stove without looking at it first and wanted me to believe that the TN had essentially the same combustion design as the Super 27/T5 since they both had "Stainless Steel" in the brochure. When asked why there was such a large price difference between the models if they were the same he stated that was because the T5 was a cook stove. Maybe he believes that.

I spoke to the other two stove shops that came up as dealers in my area. Both of them could describe the product accurately and truthfully as best I can tell from reading literature about the stove. If I do pick up a new stove I'm pretty sure I'll drive the hour to both of them rather than give the guy at the local shop my $$. If only because they both seem like they will be/have been in business longer.

Matt

Any good deals show up at the NY State Fair? Ask the dealers if they are going to have any fair specials.

It's probably been around 30 years since I've been to a fair in NY.

I'm not in a big hurry to part with cash. I have a tenant who wants to buy the house he's renting and the Century to go back into it. If and when that happens I'll be looking a bit harder for a stove.

Every time I see this thread title I think of that picture. And think that the distributor meant "disconnected", not "discontinued". ;lol

==c There are other things in the pic that are good too. The singlewall is one loooong piece, clearances don't appear to be met on the stove, wood trim goes right up to the singlewall elbow going through the wall... If we really looked at the pic we could probably find more.

Status
Not open for further replies.