Trueheat HS28 Repair Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weathejx

Dec 5, 2013
Washington, DC
Hi all -

Please forgive any improper term usage, I'm new to the technicalities of the fireplace world.

We recently purchased a home and I have some questions about the existing prefab fireplace insert. The previous owner had a Jotul F 3 installed, using the prefab fireplace chimney for exhaust. The Jotul looked really out of place, so we ended up selling it.

Unfortunately, whoever installed the Jotul mangled the existing insert by cutting into the upper flashing and removing the damper. The chimney liner now extends past where the damper used to be. It also looks like the left refractory panel was cracked. I've also found some screws lying in the fireplace.

After some searching, it seems like the company Trueheat (Howard Systems Corp, Austin TX) is no longer with us. Are these issues things I can replace with standard parts? Is this something I can do myself, or do i need a certified pro?

Here are some pictures of the fireplace manufacturer plates: http://imgur.com/a/A9sbR

Thanks,

John

Welcome. What is the end goal here? It's life as a fireplace is done. Will you be wanting to install an insert or another freestanding stove?

The goal is a working fireplace. We had a handyman (who is also a sweep) come in and do some things around the place. He quoted us 1k to do a sweep, inspection and to replace the cracked refractory panel, flashing and put a new damper in. Are you suggesting that we need to get a new fireplace? If so, can you explain why?

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.