Trying to decide on door placement...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
I have a choice of left or right side door placement on the Progress. And my layout will accomodate either. I'm trying to visualize how things would work in either scenario and not being too successful. Where does most of the wood debris generally accumulate? Is it between the wood box and the stove or from the outside to the woodbox?

Sadly, both. But really it will depend on how much wood is kept in the wood box. If you are filling the woodbox daily then both. If you are filling it weekly then there'd be more from the box to the stove.

pen

I imagaine it would be easier to feed, though, if there wasn't a hinge between the wood box and the stove opening.
Could left or right handedness also come into play?
Nice to have a choice.

pen said:
Sadly, both. But really it will depend on how much wood is kept in the wood box. If you are filling the woodbox daily then both. If you are filling it weekly then there'd be more from the box to the stove.

pen

Would it be safe to say that most of the debris will be around the wood box in either case? In other words, that most of the debris will occur when unloading and loading the wood box? If I go with the left door, the woodbox would be right beside a major traffic route (but not in the living room), whereas with the right hand door the wood box would be out of the main traffic areas (but in the living room). Now, I'd like to think that I would be sweeping up said debris as soon as it hits the floor, but past experience would indicate the unlikelihood of such efficiency :red: So, I'm thinking that not having the debris where it will get trekked around might be a good idea.

As far as handedness goes, that is a good point. I was wondering if that is a factor in these decisions. I still haven't settled on my handedness yet (it's only been a half century, don't rush me), I'm pretty ambidextrous (do things equally poorly with either hand), but tend to default to my left hand with athletic stuff. So, I guess, in my case, it's not too much of a factor.

Any other things I should be considereing?

Thanks.

[quote author="HollowHill" date="1320599565 So, I'm thinking that not having the debris where it will get trekked around might be a good idea.[/quote]

I would keep the debris out of the main traffic pattern. I too had thought I would clean up the debris right after filling up the box, but alas, when you are filling it up at say 10 pm or at maybe 6 am, running the vaccuum is not an option.

Shawn

I'd personally put it on whatever side would give you the most comfortable loading.

If you aren't sure, flip a coin, go with it, and never allow yourself to reconsider the outcome.

If it were for me, I'd want the door on the right side of the stove as you are looking at it from the front as I think that side would be easier for a right handed person which I am.

pen

Hollow, the only point about the woodbox and door on the right side is that it will steal room from your living room. You are already going to lose some room just by having the stove there and it is not a large room to begin with. Therefore, although it will work that way I am wondering if the left side door will be better in your situation. So you'd lose less living space with the left door but it would still work with the right door. Personally, I don't know why but I've always favored a door on the right side but that might just be me as the left is my blind side.

Status
Not open for further replies.