Trying to figure out recent Pellet Mill purchase in Southern VT.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
For the past 3 years I have been getting Vermont Softies (2 ton plus) in bulk from Vermont Renewable Fuels in Manchester Vermont. About 6 months ago they stated that they would be offering a 2nd Softwood pellet, then last month they said that they recently purchased a Pellet mill and planed to be in full production by mid September. I want to assume that whatever plant they picked up was, or could produce a high quality product! So.......any ideas what this plant was or is? I can't find any info and VTRF's hasn't gotten back to me... Thanks, Bill

For the past 3 years I have been getting Vermont Softies (2 ton plus) in bulk from Vermont Renewable Fuels in Manchester Vermont. About 6 months ago they stated that they would be offering a 2nd Softwood pellet, then last month they said that they recently purchased a Pellet mill and planed to be in full production by mid September. I want to assume that whatever plant they picked up was, or could produce a high quality product! So.......any ideas what this plant was or is? I can't find any info and VTRF's hasn't gotten back to me... Thanks, Bill
The only other pellet mill that I know of in Vt is the link below. I know that VTRF was selling these pellets and Stove Depot was selling the same pellet bagged under the name 802 pellets.

Queston Wood Pellets | Clean Fuel and Energy Solutions

So, I've been burning the 802 pellets here in my two stoves: Enviro and a Harman P68. Been researching where they come from, etc. The 802 pellets are sold through Stove Depot, got 'em for $279/ton which is a great deal for the Super Premium grade. Was paying more for LG last year and happy to make to switch to a Vermont made pellet. They're made at the old Queston mill in West Windsor, VT. That mill was taken over by Renewable Fuels of Vermont...there's a new sign out front with two pellet brands: 802 and Green Mountain Wood Pellets. They will be making both, and I assume the two will be the same. Anyone got Green Mountain Wood Pellets out there?

The 802's are burning great. Good heat, really low ash, low fines. I had one bag with some sawdust in it, but seemed to be an outlier, and it was swadust not powdery or dusty fines. Maybe the bag got a little wet? No sign of that, and it burned fine, no issues.

A buddy of mine has a couple cheap Breckwell stove and a U.S. Stoves. I think I'm going to trade him a couple bags of his Tractor Supply crap for a couple 802's and see if I can see a huge difference. I expect so!!

HEY! Not all the pellets at TSC are crap. This year they have had some really good ones. ProPellets, Dry Creek (white bag, blue lettering), and the TSC branded Lignetics (red bag, TSC logo).

I'm sure your pellets are awesome, they look like it. Just don't knock TSC's pellets right off the bat since no matter what pellet they are selling, the price is always the same.

Old Queston Mill update. Just got 3 tons bulk fill delivered this AM. What I was told was the following:
There is no readily available on-line info at present, The pellet name (probably Green Mountain Pellets) and specs will be released soon.
The testing was done at ( if I got this right) at the University of Maine. The specs are slightly better than the Vermont Soffties, BTU's at 8800 and Ash at 3.4, moisture was around 3.5%
I am supposedly getting an email with all the results....
I am going to attempt to post some short videos of the delivery.
Bill

Last edited:
HEY! Not all the pellets at TSC are crap. This year they have had some really good ones. ProPellets, Dry Creek (white bag, blue lettering), and the TSC branded Lignetics (red bag, TSC logo).

I'm sure your pellets are awesome, they look like it. Just don't knock TSC's pellets right off the bat since no matter what pellet they are selling, the price is always the same.

Ok, maybe that was a little harsh....However, I've been burned too many times by big box store pellets over the years to know that the $15-$20 savings per ton just isn't worth the gamble. You might get a great burning pellet one day and the next it's the worst ever. They tend to buy from huge companies that focus more on quantity than quality...in my experience. I did get a ton of 100% softwood pellets from TSC last year that came from Illinois I think and they were great. Not quite there on the heating value but really low ash like the 802's. I just hate not knowing if I'm buying a good cheap pellet or a bad cheap pellet from them...or any other big box for that matter. Didn't mean to single out TSC. Oh, and I know my buddy's pellets are shutting down his crappy US Stove every 2-bags. There you go...tell me how wonderful US Stoves are now! :)

Oh, and I know my buddy's pellets are shutting down his crappy US Stove every 2-bags. There you go...tell me how wonderful US Stoves are now! :)

Abrasive sort.

Ok, maybe that was a little harsh....However, I've been burned too many times by big box store pellets over the years to know that the $15-$20 savings per ton just isn't worth the gamble. You might get a great burning pellet one day and the next it's the worst ever. They tend to buy from huge companies that focus more on quantity than quality...in my experience. I did get a ton of 100% softwood pellets from TSC last year that came from Illinois I think and they were great. Not quite there on the heating value but really low ash like the 802's. I just hate not knowing if I'm buying a good cheap pellet or a bad cheap pellet from them...or any other big box for that matter. Didn't mean to single out TSC. Oh, and I know my buddy's pellets are shutting down his crappy US Stove every 2-bags. There you go...tell me how wonderful US Stoves are now! :)

Some of the Designer brand pellets have had their ups and downs as well.

Old Queston Mill update. Just got 3 tons bulk fill delivered this AM. What I was told was the following:
There is no readily available on-line info at present, The pellet name (probably Green Mountain Pellets) and specs will be released soon.
The testing was done at ( if I got this right) at the University of Maine. The specs are slightly better than the Vermont Soffties, BTU's at 8800 and Ash at 3.4, moisture was around 3.5%
I am supposedly getting an email with all the results....
I am going to attempt to post some short videos of the delivery.
Bill
I would think the ash is 0.34% as opposed to 3.4%, if they're marked "super premium" grade.

My local store has the Lignetics in the white/blue bag. Will have to scan the other bag tomorrow when I stop in. Have been burning the white/blue bag for a couple weeks an really like them. Most likely buy 3 tons of them

C
I would think the ash is 0.34% as opposed to 3.4%, if they're marked "super premium" grade.
Thanks chken, didn't catch that! That would be quite a build-up.....thanks, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.