Trying to figure out whats changed since last season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little history:Bought the Harmon P-38 stove the winter of 2006.I've always tried to keep it clean but not spotless,just safe.I've never had any problems with the stove,until now.
Problem--So last week before using I decided to give it a good cleaning.Cleaned all the things,heat exchanger,blower fan,burn pot ect.After scrapeing and brushing gave the inside a good vacuum job with 6 h.p.and dry wall filter.Went outside took the flue pipe off and vacuumed out where it goes thru the wall.There was very little fly ash in the flue pipe.I was careful not to hit the ESP probe.Got it cleaned.
I fired it up,no problem starting(Manual starting) the fire.All fans and auger working fine.Now I'm getting a lazy dirty flame.Always before the flame went up towards the heat exchangers.Now alot of the flame goes downward .The glass was spotless when I lite it within 2 hours it was black.Went out and could see a little smoke coming out of the flue.
I was trying a new pellet when I first lite it up.So the next day I cleaned it and removed all the new pellets.Replaced them with some Greenways,same thing as with the other pellets.When I used it on the second day I made sure the seal on the door,ash pan and hopper lid were good.
So this is where I am at this point.I know its something simple or something I missed.
I will admit I haven't cleaned the ESP probe and distribution blower.My manual don't tell how to get to these.Well,this is about all I can think to add...
Thanks,
Tony

Since you have access to the pipe outside, do you have a leafblower that has the vacuum attachment? A good leaf blower treatment might get the ash that I suspect is hidden inside the stove and causing the poor burn.

Try it, you might really like it.

When playing around with the flue did you check the termination cap, they can accumulate a good layer of crud and severely restrict the air flow through the stove, also that flapper on the air intake might have something gumming up the works, and not having a clean esp is noted for causing bad burns as is carbon buildup in the burn pot near the auger.

imacman said:
Since you have access to the pipe outside, do you have a leafblower that has the vacuum attachment? A good leaf blower treatment might get the ash that I suspect is hidden inside the stove and causing the poor burn.

Try it, you might really like it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I haven't a blower/vac yet,its in the near future.I'm not sure if my stove has that vacuum line you have to disconnect.If so where is it located.
Thanks

SmokeyTheBear said:
When playing around with the flue did you check the termination cap, they can accumulate a good layer of crud and severely restrict the air flow through the stove, also that flapper on the air intake might have something gumming up the works, and not having a clean esp is noted for causing bad burns as is carbon buildup in the burn pot near the auger.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yep,cap is clean.I checked for bird,rat nest.
Thanks

BUMP----I did the dollar bill test on door,fill hopper and clean out tray.It would not move on any.I can hear the flapper/damper working when I open and close the stove door.I've got to get a blower before I can do the clean out.Does anyone know if I have to disconnect a tube on this model (Harmon P-38)if so where is the tube?Anyone know how to get to the distribution blower on this stove so I can clean?
Too hot here in Tennessee to fire it up ,fixing to cool down again.Might be a good time to trade it in on a larger model.I bought this as a Supplemental heat source and it changed to primary heat.
Thanks

I'd definitely clean that esp if you have never done so, it is sitting in the exhaust system just inside the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.