T'stats with switch box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joedirt16

Jan 3, 2017
Pa
Recently, I installed a King Pellet Stove in the backend of my pre-1900 house. Picture an old, two story brick house that had some sort of log cabin-type two story addition. The stove is in the first story of this addition.
My forced air/heat pump t'stat is in the front of the first story. With the first story being warmed by the stove, the second is chilly.
Would it be possible to install a second t'stat in the upstairs, have both t'stats run to a switch box/toggle box so when I run the stove, I can switch so the upstairs t'stat drives the heat pump? (I would block most vents downstairs. My wife is perpetually cold, so I'd leave the one in the living room, because I'm a nice guy like that.)

In general it is not a good idea to block off vents. Depending on the type of system you have it can actually cause some costly damage. There is a lot of information about this on the web. Depending on your ductwork and system you may be able to zone your system to get to where you want to some degree.

Reactions: johneh
Recently, I installed a King Pellet Stove in the backend of my pre-1900 house. Picture an old, two story brick house that had some sort of log cabin-type two story addition. The stove is in the first story of this addition.
My forced air/heat pump t'stat is in the front of the first story. With the first story being warmed by the stove, the second is chilly.
Would it be possible to install a second t'stat in the upstairs, have both t'stats run to a switch box/toggle box so when I run the stove, I can switch so the upstairs t'stat drives the heat pump? (I would block most vents downstairs. My wife is perpetually cold, so I'd leave the one in the living room, because I'm a nice guy like that.)

You may want to consider having this post moved to the Green Room or The Boiler Room posting section as this has more to do with heat pumps and for forced air than pellet stoves. You may get better assistance. If you want it moved, report your own post and request that it be moved. Good luck!