Turkeys Galore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Came across some of my turkey buddies in the woods today. About a dozen babies and mom.

One of the babies. He's camouflaged pretty good:
IMG_8073%20(800x600).jpg

Mom turkey:
IMG_8080%20(800x600).jpg

A short video of mom talking to her babies. After this I went to a different part of the woods to let them regroup in peace:

Thanks!

All the critters in the woods are used to me being out there, sometimes I feel like they think I'm one of their own! And her little ones were all hiding in the thick brush there, so she wasn't going to leave.

Yesterday I almost got this year's fawn picture. I was cutting, then I put down the saw and started splitting. I looked up and there was the fawn I have been seeing, not more than 15 feet from me. Of course my camera was in the ATV 100 feet away! I dropped the maul and hurried to my ATV. Then when I got back to where the fawn was watching me, he was gone. I looked for several minutes and finally saw him far away in the woods. I took one picture, but it's too weak to share (I don't share my 'terrible' pictures). Later, I looked up from my work and there was a buck with velvet horns! He was eating and watching me. I did manage to get a few shareable pictures of him. Here is one:
IMG_8094%20(800x600).jpg

I finally got this year's fawn picture today! Not only one fawn, but twins! I'll share later.

quads, you're like jack Hannah meets Paul Bunyan meets Ansel Adams, brilliant. Keep up the exceptional work sir.....I want pics of you feeding a moose by hand. That would be the bestest......if it doesn't happen I'll be ok, I know mooses can be dangerous.

Delta-T said:
quads, you're like jack Hannah meets Paul Bunyan meets Ansel Adams, brilliant. Keep up the exceptional work sir.....I want pics of you feeding a moose by hand. That would be the bestest......if it doesn't happen I'll be ok, I know mooses can be dangerous.
Ha thanks! I'm a long way from any 'mooses' though! I might be able to get one of my little chickadee pals to pose like that in my hand?......hmmm, maybe have to give that a try someday.

Well first, from this morning, is mother catbird sitting on her eggs (she has three little blue ones in there):
IMG_8105%20(800x600).jpg

And then here is this year's fawn picture. I took several stills, and a couple short videos. Here is one of the pictures:
IMG_8139%20(800x600).jpg

quads said:
Delta-T said:
Ha thanks! I'm a long way from any 'mooses' though! I might be able to get one of my little chickadee pals to pose like that in my hand?......hmmm, maybe have to give that a try someday.

really? no moose in Wisconsin, or at least near you in Wisc? I kinda thought they were everywhere that there's water, trees and pavement. I can pretend that a chickadee has antlers.....go for it.

Great stuff quads. We always enjoy the pictures from the woods!

Delta-T said:
really? no moose in Wisconsin, or at least near you in Wisc? I kinda thought they were everywhere that there's water, trees and pavement. I can pretend that a chickadee has antlers.....go for it.
No moose anywhere in Wisconsin, that I know of. There is a very small herd of elk that they transplanted up north, but I heard they aren't doing very good.

Great pictures as always Quads . . . loved the fawns.

north of 60 said:
Quads, I just saved the twin fawns photo in my photo gallery. Marvellous!

+1 Just made it my desktop background! Thanks for the pics

daveswoodhauler said:
north of 60 said:

I'll try to upload the full size version on my slow dialup for you.

quads said:
daveswoodhauler said:
north of 60 said:

I'll try to upload the full size version on my slow dialup for you.

No need to quads..its looks great on my desktop!
Now, you just have to get a shot of that fawn holding your fiskars perfectly upright :)

Oh well, the link displayed as the picture itself.........

The shot of the twin fawns is wonderful, though Mrs. Catbird is a real "keeper", too.

However, as a permanently arrested 12 yr. old Turkey Poop is unquestionably my favorite. (And yes, I do own a fart machine, a whoopie cushion, and fake puke. All see regular action.)

You have a wonderful, gentle, patient eye. (now you need to start training your working steer).

Bobbin said:
The shot of the twin fawns is wonderful, though Mrs. Catbird is a real "keeper", too.

However, as a permanently arrested 12 yr. old Turkey Poop is unquestionably my favorite. (And yes, I do own a fart machine, a whoopie cushion, and fake puke. All see regular action.)

You have a wonderful, gentle, patient eye. (now you need to start training your working steer).
Ha ha! You're my kind of person Bobbin!

Status
Not open for further replies.