turn off or keep on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
So this year, my wife goes to work first, and I get home first. I only work about 5-6 hours a day.
So I have the option to turn my stove off and save some pellets. I am wondering though if I should turn the stove off or just put it on very low to keep some heat circulating. Or should I just turn the stove on when I get home and crank it up to very high. I not talking while the temps are still above/around 30 degrees.
which would save the most pellets.

I'm new to pellet stoves so I can't offer much insight into which saves pellets. I can however tell you that temperature fluctuations inside your home can wreak havoc to your internal finishings over time.

The wisdom for conventional heating was that it was no more than 8 degree set back unless more than 8 hours.

In the fall turning off will save you a bit, as opposed to a low burn during non occupancy. During the winter I normally throw my thermostat down by about 4 degrees when sleeping and away (with 2 degree delta). Having a programmable thermostat will really help with this. Turning the stove off during the winter tends to eat just as many pellets bringing the house back up had it been running at a lower setting. This has been my experience in 4 seasons of using a pellet stove.

I stopped being a pellet scrooge after the first season and just let it run continuously on most days. Although my house is large compared to my stove.

i always look forward to when it gets cold enough to just let the stove run (even if i set it on low).
there is the "soak" factor where all the walls and contents of the house are warmed up.
i find it much easier to keep the rooms away from the stove comfortable if the stove just keeps running.

Do you have a T stat on the this?

Yes, I have a programmable T-stat on it. I guess I will just knock it way down during the day.

i always look forward to when it gets cold enough to just let the stove run (even if i set it on low).
there is the "soak" factor where all the walls and contents of the house are warmed up.
i find it much easier to keep the rooms away from the stove comfortable if the stove just keeps running.

Thats true I suppose.

Only issue you might have is cresote build up if you run it at a low setting for a continuous time, unless your able to tweak your settings for a bettter burn on low, I;m not sure. How welll does it work on the t stat?

Only issue you might have is cresote build up if you run it at a low setting for a continuous time, unless your able to tweak your settings for a bettter burn on low, I;m not sure. How welll does it work on the t stat?

Thats what I was thinking. I dont have the best stat but it works fine with it.

what is the model number of the stove your using for this setup, you have 3 stoves in your sig.............

using the PDVC.
The EF2 doesn't except a tstat.

Looks like you have to call them to get into the programming if you want to do some tweaking, you might as well leave it on setting 2 in my opinion, maybe it will run the combustion blower on setting 2.

I turn down the thermo when I leave in the morning a little .. save on some pellets..

biggest question t answer is whether you would need more fuel to get back to the level you keep if turned off than you would use if idling while gone. its empirical to the variables of heat retention and outside temps to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.