Turning off a M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsk

Sep 12, 2011
Eastern ct
So I hit the off button, the fans drop, the fire drops down to almost nothing.

But the auger turns every once in agile, and when ever that happens more pellets are dropped in the burn pot.

When I hit the off button aren't pellets supposed to stop falling?

The stove goes through a slow down cycle to lowest heat setting for about 5 mins(I think its this amount) before it turns completely off.

They do this to help save the igniter when on a thermostat. When the stat is satisfied, The stove goes to the lowest heat setting just in case the stat calls for heat right away. This way the stove will just cycle back to the heat setting the control is set at.

if you you are in manual the heat indicator light will go off and the stove should start to shut down in you are in auto/off thermo mode it will run for 1/2 hr on low befor shut down if you are in high/low and you turn down the thermo it will take the stove down to 1 heat setting

What J-Takeman said is exactly what my stove does.

Got it. It does in fact do just that.

I was a bit confused because the manual states that pushing the on/off button will stop the feed of pellets.

Another hazy point, the manual is a bit hazy on is the fuel type 'button'.

Does the premium selection change air flow, fuel feed, auger speed? I'm burning firesides now and they seem to burn well, plenty of heat on high (over 220f). But there seems to be a large quanity of red coal pellets being pushed into the ash pan. I'm playing with the air trim to see if this will change things. Is the coals dropping ingot he ash bin normal? Seems a waste...

Millsk said:
Got it. It does in fact do just that.

I was a bit confused because the manual states that pushing the on/off button will stop the feed of pellets.

Another hazy point, the manual is a bit hazy on is the fuel type 'button'.

Does the premium selection change air flow, fuel feed, auger speed? I'm burning firesides now and they seem to burn well, plenty of heat on high (over 220f). But there seems to be a large quanity of red coal pellets being pushed into the ash pan. I'm playing with the air trim to see if this will change things. Is the coals dropping ingot he ash bin normal? Seems a waste...

It took me a while to get the hang of this. When the stove is pretty clean you might see some coals going over the side. I don't clean the burnpot but once a week. Leave the ash in the burnpot. It actually helps this issue of hot coals going over into the pan. As the new ash goes to the edge it will push the old ash over the side. It gives the newer ash time to cool.

If it still does this you can try reducing the feed trim one or 2 settings. Less fuel in will let it burn out some before adding more. This also works for dirty black door glass(rich condition).

FEED TRIM BUTTON: Used in conjunction with the Heat Level
Adjustment Buttons to adjust the Feed Trim. It can be increased
by two (2) feed settings or it can be decreased by two (2) feed
settings. #3 Light is the default setting

Hold in feed trim button. push the down heat level button to lower feed trim

Feed rates/air/trim on Premium and regular(multifuel is different) are the same the only difference is the burnpot aggitator turns more on regular pellet than premium. I'll look up the chart that a Enviro rep sent me!

Here is the feed chart and stirrer chart

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Stirer and feed.jpg
    Stirer and feed.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 229
Hello

Here is a nice video on M55 control board operation.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I was running the stove on regular pellets and I think the auger coming on too often. I'll try it on premium.

House is toasty :)

That video shows that my St. Croix works in much the same way, except for the fuel choices.

Premium fuel setting is the way to go. I don't think you will need any of the other settings unless you were to try something other than wood pellets like grass pellets, shells or corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.