Twist to scary tragedy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
Police: Fatal fire was a murder-suicide

Journal staff

CLINTON HOLLOW — Authorities are ruling Thursday morning fatal fire in the Town of Clinton as a murder-suicide.

Andrew Papp, 66, killed his fiancee Ernestine Mills, 56, with a single discharge from a shotgun, set the fire and then shot himself, said Deputy T.J. Hanlon, spokeman for the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.

“There is evidence suggesting it was a financial concern,” Hanlon said of Papp’s motive, but he would not elaborate.

The house fire on East Halstead Road was reported to police at 8:10 a.m. Thursday.
Papp’s and Mills’ families have been notified, Hanlon said.

The crime is being investigated by the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office, the Dutchess County Cause and Origin Team and the Dutchess County Medical Examiner’s Office.

About 40 firefighters from the East Clinton, West Clinton, Pleasant Valley, Stanford, and Millbrook fire departments responded. One firefighter was treated for minor injuries fighting the blaze.

Firefighters spent two hours battling flames until the scene was contained enough that fire investigators could begin looking around the debris.

In an interview Thursday, next-door neighbor Wayne Castilonia, 61, said he did not know the Papps well.

Castilonia and his wife, Marie, moved to their home on Clinton Hollow Road about five years ago when Castilonia retired from the Yonkers Fire Department. He said Thursday a passing motorist alerted Marie Castilonia to the fire as she was about to drive out of the driveway. She told her husband, and he called 911.

Wayne Castilonia said he walked over to the house and saw the smoke coming from the chimney and roof.

"There were no flames showing," he said, and he tried to see if anyone was inside by banging on the windows and doors, which he said were hot.

Firefighters arrived soon after. The fire crew set up one truck in the driveway and aimed its water cannon at the house, while tankers and pumpers from several departments shuttled between the fire scene and a town park to relay extra water from the park's pond.

The Red Cross was also at the scene, offering water to firefighters and other services to neighbors.

"It actually worked very well," East Clinton Deputy Fire Chief Tim McCormack said at about 10:30 a.m. when the fire was under control.

McCormack wouldn't speculate on the cause of the fire, but the damage was visibly more severe near the chimney on the east side of the house, where little remained other than charred beams.

HMMM- Go Figure!!!!!!!!

Thought about this all day, with sadness. Now I don't know what to think. I'm sad life gets so desperate for some they seek bad alternatives. What also bothers me is, who will read part two and see the blame in part one is not a bad stove, chimney, alternative heater. The industry gets screwed because of a little knowledge by a reporter and a non-follow up that they were wrong. Makes us all look very bad.

Unc, It's like the murders that take place with a hunting knife, or hunting rifle. The media has to throw hunting in there. They always say wood stove caused the fire, weather the owner threw the evening paper on the stove and went away. It is the stoves fault. Quick

Uncle Rich:
Thought about this all day, with sadness. Now I don’t know what to think. I’m sad life gets so desperate for some they seek bad alternatives. What also bothers me is, who will read part two and see the blame in part one is not a bad stove, chimney, alternative heater. The industry gets screwed because of a little knowledge by a reporter and a non-follow up that they were wrong. Makes us all look very bad.

Very good point UncleRich... "The dirty Laundry Crew" often twists the facts, skews public sentiment...and choses their words to "incite"...rather than "inform". The media has little "morals" these days...I know they "are a business too"...they produce a "product"...that they have to "compete with other forms of entertainment." The saddest part of it all is that after you break it down...society is to blame. People "Don't eye' the media outlets the way they used to". Just reading newspaper articles from over the years proves that point.
I agree it is a tradgedy all the way around...the really sad part is "Some Chucklehead" will probably make reference to this article in the future with something like "See if the guy didn't have a stove...none of this would have happened" (You shake your head...But true?).
The way it sounds...it is a tradgedy that this guy chose to "put an end to the matter in a 'bold statement' kind of way".
Any fire...(and I have worked 'fire jobs' in the past) is tragic. Entering a house after a fire is like "looking at a moment frozen in time"....fire is the only thing that can "stop a clock". The guy above wasn't so much trying to end things...he was trying "to make a statement".
I feel bad for the victims...those victims I'm sure include the firefighters that had to do the discovery after the fire was out.

"It was obvious that there was something more than just an accidental fire when we got inside the house," said Deputy T.J. Hanlon, spokesman for the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office. "It came across the 911 dispatch as a possible chimney fire, so that's how the chimney started being talked about."

Hmm that's the second one in a week. One of the people I work with had her apartment building torched last week. I haven't heard the "official" conclusion yet, but from what she described it sounded like some one threw a flaming jar of gasoline at the front upper window of the two story building. End result was the whole front of the building (in Red Hook) was destroyed.

The good news is that everyone got out o.k. in this case.

you know that an interior chimney should be draft stopped when it passes threw floors and ceilings If not draft stopped fire will follow along it and make it look like it was a chimney fire.
also inretior chimneys require 2" clearances to combustiables. I inspected one the other day where framming members are resting on the chimney in s fact cement nailed into it.
I told the construction supervisor there is a problem with the setup and I'm not going to pass it. I really do not know who is at fault the framers or the mason. No metal draft stops either.
I can tell you this will be a major frzmming issue to move walls and floor joist. ceiling joist two floors and a ceiling are involved and structual load bearing support is part of the deal

This past week we had a local tragedy. There was a fire in a duplex. One occupant was found at the rear overcome by smoke. Apartment was a total loss and two families displaced. It was two days later that the paper soberly reported the couple who lived in the apartment had been arguing in the morning. Husband went to work, she piled his possessions in the living room and set it on fire. They did not speculate that she stayed inside deliberately to commit suicide, but left it open. At least they made no speculations on any of the News Media about cause until it was fully investigated. This one was handled right in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.