Two Appliances Dead!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
We were cooking Wednesday night, and I heard a strange Arky noise from the stove. Then all of the elements quit working. My son said he saw a flash then yesterday we realized we didn’t have any hot water. The oven lost one broiler element 9-12 months ago. I go downstairs and the control board has no lights on it for the heat pump hot water heater.

All 240 V appliances seem to be working no 110 appliances seem to be affected. Is this a coincidence that two appliances seemed to die within 18 hours of one another? Voltage checks ok to all 240 appliances this morning?

Do you have a household surge suppressor?

The other thing that happens on occasion is the neutral wire on the incoming line is broken. The utility supplies 240 VAC and the 120 volt circuits are derived by going to neutral. If the household 120 volt circuits are balanced between the two legs they may make it through but 240 volt appliances can take the brunt of it. A friend recently lost all his appliances when tree fell and broke the neutral.

I would take a good look at the household ground and neutral.

Reactions: fbelec
We share a transformer with the neighbor. Will ask here if anything isn’t working. Nothing else suspicious.

Th oven control panel still works but none elements.

We share a transformer with the neighbor. Will ask here if anything isn’t working. Nothing else suspicious.

Th oven control panel still works but none elements.
How do you know the board works?
When i've had spike problems, it's the board that gets fried and the elements are fine.

Reactions: fbelec
We were cooking Wednesday night, and I heard a strange Arky noise from the stove. Then all of the elements quit working. My son said he saw a flash then yesterday we realized we didn’t have any hot water. The oven lost one broiler element 9-12 months ago. I go downstairs and the control board has no lights on it for the heat pump hot water heater.

All 240 V appliances seem to be working no 110 appliances seem to be affected. Is this a coincidence that two appliances seemed to die within 18 hours of one another? Voltage checks ok to all 240 appliances this morning?
Almost sounds like my place
The dryer quit last night (the heating element shorted)
and this morning the dishwasher pump quit and started to leak.
Have a brand new dishwasher still in the box given to me
last September so switch over took 20 minutes.
Not going to mess with 20-year-old dryer bought a new one to be
delivered tomorrow

Line spikes are the main culprit in appliances going bad. The Mfgs do not put a lot of thought into the power supply circuits regarding this. Power surges , outages that only last just a flicker can happen for dozens of reasons. Power drops out then comes back in a big inrush, harmonic distortion( supposed to be under 6%) is another nasty. Been going on for years seems to be getting worse. Effects are cumulative on solid state devices. Whole house surge suppressor/ filter is about the only defense, other than one at each device.

225$ diagnostic fee to tell the the board needs replaced…….. I doubt the would ship me a board without going through a repair company.
Almost sounds like my place
The dryer quit last night (the heating element shorted)
and this morning the dishwasher pump quit and started to leak.
Have a brand new dishwasher still in the box given to me
last September so switch over took 20 minutes.
Not going to mess with 20-year-old dryer bought a new one to be
delivered tomorrow
Had dream this morning that my three year old dryer died. In the dream I just couldn’t figure out why when I hang 80% of the laundry on the line. It was just a dream. I’m waiting for my dishwasher to break. I have a pump on hand.

I got my replacement board for my wall over on ebay. They have lots of boards on ebay.
Also got my tv board on ebay.

i've also seen lightning do this. sounds like some sort of spike came in. check with your neighbor if he had a spike come in also then try to get the power company to pay for the items that you have to buy. they should have a account set up for that

thanks rockymtngriz for the link this sounds better than arc fault circuit breakers

Does the app work without the 50$ per year live monitoring fee?
It would Be nice it if saved data for the last 30 days I live without the fee.
I don't think so. I think you're buying a service, not a product. I got one, but my insurer is paying for it, so it's fuzzy to me. You'd have to dig into the cost details I didn't. I did look into the financial details of the company to see who was really behind this "monitoring" and found that State Farm is a big investor.

As part of the "service" they give a $1,000 allowance to fix any problem they identify if it's in the home wiring (not if it's that crappy old drill or milkhouse heater you know you should get rid of:)).

If it was either/or, I think arc fault breakers would probably be a better idea, since they're going to put a stop to something instantly, not later, but this will find other things besides that, so really both is probably best.

I should say that this Ting thing uses some power and probably some bandwidth - it stays warm. So, if you're off grid or data limited, that might be a real consideration. Electricity converting to heat isn't a big concern in my climate. I can make good use of the heat for all but a month or two, though I'd prefer to convert wood to heat as much as possible.

I'm reminded to plug that thing into my Kill a Watt and see what happens. I'll try to remember to let you know.

Reactions: EbS-P
Neighbor reported everything of hers was working. I’m chalking it up to either the oven arcing took out the water heater board or completely unrelated. Still no hot water….

There are people that repair boards. Especially if it's something simple like a blown capacitor.
My electronics expert neighbor in Utah was going to replace my blown cap for my samsung tv's board, but a new replacement board on ebay was $25 and was faster and easier to just get that vs. sending the blown board from NJ to Utah and back.

Reactions: semipro
They send plumbers to fix heatpump hot water heaters. It took him an hour to confirm the board was dead. Finding which component failed he would not be capable of.

I’ll ask if I can keep it. Chances are if it covered under warranty they won’t let me.

Reactions: bigealta
They send plumbers to fix heatpump hot water heaters. It took him an hour to confirm the board was dead. Finding which component failed he would not be capable of.

I’ll ask if I can keep it. Chances are if it covered under warranty they won’t let me.
Would be good to keep the blown board. Even if it's not fixable, you would be able to match it much easier if needed again. Especially when the warranty ends.

Reactions: EbS-P
Oven diagnosed. Went to change the cord and…….

High current short on the terminal block on one of the legs. Odds are higher on that this took out the water heater. I could have had this fixed on Friday! If i could have found parts locally.

IMG_9584.jpeg

Reactions: BobcatBranch
So u just needed a new terminal block? All else was good on oven?

So u just needed a new terminal block? All else was good on oven?
Won’t know until tomorrow. And maybe we’ll have hot water back too

hey ebs-p i usually find that type of problem when one of the wires are loose. they are so stiff it's easy. i come across that when a stove or dryer doesn't work

hey ebs-p i usually find that type of problem when one of the wires are loose. they are so stiff it's easy. i come across that when a stove or dryer doesn't work
That was my guess. Do you think an arc on one leg could take out a control board. Breaker never tripped.

I never touched this appliance cord. I did see whirlpool has a new design where both leads go on a single post and skip what looks like a two piece crimped connection between posts.

I have run into that with Aluminum conductors. Antioxidant paste can help but in many cases it was skipped. Not many electricians carry calibrated torque wrenches yet on larger connections there are specified torque ranges for connections.