Two is one & one is none

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 12, 2020
Parkers Lake, KY
We're thinking of building a tiny house. Right now it's just a pipe dream that we discuss late at night as we sit around the fireplace just before bedtime. But, it might happen, someday...anyway. The question of heat and air come up as an essential part of any structure. The intent would be to create a hideaway to which we could escape or use as a guest house for visitors. That necessitates electricity, water and heat/air.

As the thread title suggests, I believe in redundant systems. This philosophy saved us during this last winter adventure in which we lost power for 122 hours. The Hardy furnace quit when the electricity went out and the heat pump wouldn't pump either. However, the LP gas logs saved the day and we managed to keep a steady 60° even with the vaulted ceiling in the Bunkhouse.

Our conversation for heat and air have begun with a mini-split for basic heat/air and a tiny wood stove for back up. The Honda generator will continue to hold a special place as part of our disaster recovery plan. I'd probably consider another heat source but definitely want a tiny wood stove upon which we could make coffee or heat a can of soup as well as heat 600 SF/two room tiny house.

I've only just begun to research this concept and have searched the forum for previous threads. Does anyone have any solid recommendations for a tiny stove?

There are some nice quality small stoves from Unforgettable Fire, but they are expensive. Jotul makes the 602 and Morso makes the 2b, but these are just smaller full size stoves, not really for a tiny house but could work well. There are some companies that make stoves for boats that would be the only other alternative I would consider. Sometimes folks come on here asking about tent stoves or some of the other "tiny house stoves" on the market, but usually they are treated with lots of skepticism.

In your shoes I would install a wood burning cookstove made for a boat with the minisplit for backup.

Looks at stoves in the 1 cu ft range. For box stoves, in addition to the Jotul and Morso, there is the new VC Aspen C3. For stoves with a better fire view, there are several small Morsoes. I like the 7110. Jotul will hopefully return soon with the F3CB or F100 revision and Regency with the Hampton H200 revision. Pacific Energy has an upcoming Neo or Alderlea 1.2.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I like the idea of if a stove that you could cook on. But for the cost of a wood stove install you could upgrade your generator and have a manual transfer switch installed. Could The whole 600 sq ft run off 6kw? Probably depends on water heater and Oven. Stove has fewer failure points and maintenance is easier than generator maintenance.

Reactions: SpaceBus