two stove thermometers make all the difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulip

Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2009
Virginia
I'm still new at this, so I thought my lesson might help other new burners, although experienced burners already know this.

I have a Petit Godin. I burn wood and coal in it. A few weeks ago, I got a scare when I noticed my stovepipe glowing. I shut the air all the way down and let it cool down--for two weeks! I was nervous to try it again.

I did some reading and bought a stovepipe thermometer (Condar Chimguard) I also learned that my regular thermometer (Rutland) was not in the right place. I had it on the front of the stove and it should be on the top.

Previous to this incident, I had monitored the temps with the Rutland on the front of the stove. It took a long time to heat up to the Burn zone, and so I left the air all the way open to get it there. Otherwise, the thermometer read in the Creosote zone, and I didn't want that.

After the glowing stovepipe, and after I got up the courage to try again, I used the Chimguard on the stovepipe and moved the Rutland to the top of the stove. At the beginning of the burn, I monitor the Chimguard because the stovepipe heats up alot faster than the stove itself (this is probably obvious to most of you, but it didn't click with me until the glowing). In order to keep the Chimguard in the Burn zone (and out of the Too Hot zone), I have to shut the air down pretty far. After a little while--30 minutes or so--the Rutland heats up to the Burn zone, and matches the Chimguard.

I think I have this figured out. It makes alot more sense and saves on wood/coal since there's less air and a slower burn. And it's alot safer, obviously.

Hmmm wish there was a way to do this with a zero clearance install. Most of the flue thermometers I've found say to install it in the fluepipe atleast 18" above the stove. I don't have access to that much pipe with my setup. All I have access to is the tee behind the stove. I've got it glowing a few times because I was doing the same thing - left the air wide open until the stove got up to temp. Now I just cut it back to 3/4 or 1/2 once the flames get going for several minutes. It still gets up to temp just the same. Probably the way I should have been doing it all along, but I'm still a noob :).

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears (ok, eyes!)

It's a good lesson to learn. The stove front temp doesn't mean much and is not helpful in monitoring your stove. We usually talk of stove top temp and stove pipe temps. You're on the right page now!

My stove is set up in front of the fireplace, with the stovepipe going horizontally out the back of the stove to a T, attached to the chimney pipe that goes up the chimney and has a cleanout at the bottom. I put the Chimguard on that horizontal stovepipe since that's the part that was glowing. Putting the Rutland on the top of the stove means that I cannot put a steamer on the stove. The Petit Godin does not have much surface area on the top. I'll just have to shop around for a small steamer.

Tulip said:
I did some reading and bought a stovepipe thermometer (Condar Chimguard) I also learned that my regular thermometer (Rutland) was not in the right place. I had it on the front of the stove and it should be on the top.

All depends on the stove, and for most, yes. In my case I was putting my thermo on the top and struggled to get over 300. After getting an IR gun I figured out the front of my stove was consistantly warmer than the top.

Hi Tulip

I've been burning anthracite coal in Godin stoves for about 20 years now. I find them to be good solid stoves that give off a decent amount of heat. Directly at the outlet I have a 90 degree 5" elbow and the flue gas thermometer is about 15" above that. I run the flue at about 600 degrees and the stove throws off close to 15,000 to 20,000 BTUs per hour. Below is a picture of the stove and my "humidifier".

When I bought the house it was sitting abandoned in the corner of the basement, the top cast iron ring was cracked. Not being able to find the part here I ended up getting it shipped from France. The stoves are still very popular there.

Attachments

• Img_6522_a.jpg
    Img_6522_a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 377
Status
Not open for further replies.