Two stoves - trying to figure out what we have.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe43

Sep 1, 2020
Northeast USA
Hi all - new to the site and have two stoves that came with our home. One is a Vermont Castings Vigilant 1977 and I can seem to find information about that one online, but the other is a Garrison I with a soapstone top. I can't seem to find much on that one. I need to get them put up for sale, but don't even know where to start for pricing. I want to be fair so would appreciate any and all input you have on this matter! Thanks.
thumbnail_IMG_2517.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2518.jpg

If they are both in great shape internally and externally and fully functional then the Vigilant could bring up to $1000 to the right buyer now that the heating season is approaching. A good price would be $6-800. The Garrison might get $400 but a quick sale would be around $250.

If they are both in great shape internally and externally and fully functional then the Vigilant could bring up to $1000 to the right buyer now that the heating season is approaching. A good price would be $6-800. The Garrison might get $400 but a quick sale would be around $250.

Thanks!

A major "if" on either one is they need to have third party certification testing plate or label on the back of the stove. If they do not the value goes down considerably as many insurance companies will not allow them to be installed in home. In my area (NH) the vigilant usually sells for less, my guess $400 to $600. Its always a trade off on speed of sale versus price.

A major "if" on either one is they need to have third party certification testing plate or label on the back of the stove. If they do not the value goes down considerably as many insurance companies will not allow them to be installed in home. In my area (NH) the vigilant usually sells for less, my guess $400 to $600. Its always a trade off on speed of sale versus price.
Thanks for the tip on the cert. I'm sort of in your neck of the woods...Southern NH.

Thanks for the tip on the cert. I'm sort of in your neck of the woods...Southern NH.
About a two hour ride to most places in Southern NH.

Reactions: Joe43
I sold my vigilant 12 yrs ago for $400 in great shape, was a decent stove in its “time”!