1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Two year wood is great,but

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by budman, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budman

budman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Valley Cottage,NY
    I started off this year with 3 cords of ash,red oak,black locust and cherry seasoned
    for two years and this stuff burns nice and hot and clean.Now for the not so good is
    that it had been loaded with powder post beetles and what a mess it is to clean
    each piece off before i bring into the house.I still have another cord of this before
    i am into my one year stuff.Can't wait so i can just bring it in and not have to clean it
    off.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    We use those transparent plastic floor runners under our inside wood rack and they make recovering the dirt real easy. Most burners would gladly endure that minor problem for prime seasoned wood.
  3. budman

budman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Valley Cottage,NY
    All my wood is on 4x4 p/t wood and then on 2x4 p/t racks,it's not the dirt it's
    the saw dust from the beetles.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That dust from the beetles is a never ending problem. I simply take two pieces and knock them together before loading them into the cart to bring to the house. That gets most of it off unless it is wet.

My wife is a little more picky than I am. Though I try to knock off all the dust, dirt and loose bark from the wood before bringing into the house, she sometimes has a little whisk broom that she brushes on the wood to get some of it off. It's just one of those little problems we must endure and after a while you'll think little of it and just do the best you can without making a mess.

Other than the dusty mess, the beetles are nothing to worry yourself about.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.