Type L vs. refrigeration tubing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I just chatted with a fellow that fabricated his own 3/4" copper coils for his HX. He says he used refrigeration tubing instead of type L because of the price. I looked it up and type L is $3/ft and refrigeration is $1.89/ft (shipping extra) He said he was able to use standard sweat fittings and from the pictures it looks like he did a bang up job onit.

Other than a thinner wall is there any reason not to go with refrgieration tubing?

Thanks
Greg H

Greg H said:
I just chatted with a fellow that fabricated his own 3/4" copper coils for his HX. He says he used refrigeration tubing instead of type L because of the price. I looked it up and type L is $3/ft and refrigeration is $1.89/ft (shipping extra) He said he was able to use standard sweat fittings and from the pictures it looks like he did a bang up job onit.

Other than a thinner wall is there any reason not to go with refrgieration tubing?

Thanks
Greg H

No reason that I know of. I'm using it for one of my coils. The diameters are not exactly the same, so you may have to be clever to get a sweat fitting that works.

Seems to me you can get compression fittings to connect on the refrig size and threaded or sweat to connect on the type L side.

I used it but standard sweat fittings didn't fit. m I went to a refer repair outfir and purchased some, perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.