Type of metal chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth Cole

Dec 19, 2010
Wapiti,Wyoming
Hi
New here. Please bear with me. I will try to discribe what we have and what we need to know without boring you.
We Have a wood stove (Heat Tech) which is inserted into a fake fireplace. This was in the house when we bought it. We don't know how old the system is. The house was built in the mid 70s. Inside the area where the stove fits it is inclosed in sheet metal with ducking on each side that leads up to vents on the wall. Behind the vents are electric fans to circulate the heated air.The chimney pipe measures 9" OD as it leaves the stove. The chimney is framed in wood about 2'x6'. I pulled off the cap on the roof and the pipe measures 9" ID and 14" OD. There are small(1") luvers around the top face. The pipe feels heavy as if it is not hollow.It is not galvinized pipe.
Dose anyone know what type of pipe we have?
Thanks for your help.
Ken

Sounds like it might be triple wall vented pipe. A picture or two might help ID it.

This definitely should have been checked out by the installer. It's quite possible that this flue is not rated for wood stove temperatures. It must be rated at UL HT103. If not, the pipe may need to be replaced with proper piping. Have the dealer check asap.

Do you know the brand of fireplace? Is this a Heatilator unit?

Begreen
All I know is that the insert is a Heat Tech. I could go up on the roof and pull the cap and with a hack saw make a small cut across the end of the pipe to tell what type of construction it is. I guess I am confussed, if the pipe has a wall thickness of 2 1/5" would it not be a class A pipe?

I'd just be speculating. The pipe could be insulated, but the question is what temp it was tested at? For that info there is usually a sticker on the side of the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.