1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Type Of Wood Versus ...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Craig S., Oct 16, 2013.

1. Craig S.

Craig S. Member

Loc:
    Smithtown, New York
    Dug this up a while ago, don't remember where its from, but thought is was a worthwhile post. Makes me feel pretty good about the oil I'm not going to burn.

-------------------------------------------------------------

woodfact1.JPG
    Bluezx636, Beer Belly and BillLion like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Capetownkg

Capetownkg Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Pretty cool chart. Just make sure your doing the math for your stoves efficiency rating. Knocked the stove I want down from 7,441 kwh to 5,655 kwh
  3. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Man that Osage is higher than I thought! I would think Mulberry would be up there also. It has the same
    Characteristics as Osage. Nice chart. Thanks.
  4. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

Good information , definitely worth while post.
  5. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I think Osage is the best in the US, might be something harder in another part of the world but that's the holy grail of firewood here. None here in the NE though, the best I can hope for his hickory, had a bit a couple years ago, it was great burning that stuff.
    gyrfalcon and BillLion like this.
  6. STIHLY DAN

STIHLY DAN Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So NH
    Osage grove was cut down in andover mas in the 60's. Some old governors mansion.
  7. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Did you scrounge any of it :p

I wouldn't mind planting some but don't have a lot of room, better would be to luck out and find one on a scrounge, thought I had some last week because I saw some green balls on the ground and got excited, turned out to be black walnut.
  8. Missouri Frontier

Missouri Frontier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Missouri BFE north of KC
    hedge (osage) is a weed tree here. its the tree most likley to get you paid for removing from a yard. folks out here hate them for all the nasty thorns the hedge apples(fruit) and the way theyll make a chain saw throw sparks. i have dozens of mature hedge trees on my wood lot. ill be taking down 4 of them behind the house over the next couple of weekends because the wife thinks they are ugly. funny part is, the fires she likes the best are loaded with hedge! ugly tree???? i think not.
  9. CJRages

CJRages Member

Loc:
    Mid Missouri
    Hedge is good stuff. Nothing magical about it. It's just very dense stuff and feels quite heavy even when dry. No problem with having enough coals left over from an overnight burn for quick relights. That's what I like about it. Otherwise it has the same heat as any other wood by weight. Your just going to have to plan on reloading that cottonwood twice/three times as often :)
    Missouri Frontier likes this.