Type of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Getwidit

Aug 28, 2019
Stuyvesant ny
Anyone know what this is? I have quite a few of them standing dead. I was thinking rock oak? They have tight rings but kind of cuts like soft wood and is bone dry. Never really find any normal oaks that season and dry standing dead. But i don't know much about rock oak.

20201227_145326.jpg

Might be cottonwood by the looks of the bark.

Reactions: JimBear
I would say Poplar but then again,Cottonwoods and Poplars are all “populus”

Reactions: JimBear
I'm guessing cottonwood.

Bark does look like cotton. I also thought sassafras at first glance. Must be other similar trees in the area.

I also originally thought Sassafras, I have noticed all the Sassafras that I have cut has an orange hue to the cut face of the bark. But I am going to guess Chestnut Oak as my final answer.

I also originally thought Sassafras, I have noticed all the Sassafras that I have cut has an orange hue to the cut face of the bark. But I am going to guess Chestnut Oak as my final answer.
Its very red on the inside almost like cherry. I'm thinking its chestnut oak as well.

I also have a ID question; what is this? Quite light on the inside, sometimes a bit of a dark 1-2" core. But quite heavy.

I was told it was white oak, but I read someplace here that that is hard to split. This is not very hard to split. Cut this up last winter, had the rounds off the ground all year, and have space now to split and stack.

Any idea what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_155105122.jpg
    IMG_20201228_155105122.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20201228_155054296_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201228_155054296_HDR.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 112
I also have a ID question; what is this? Quite light on the inside, sometimes a bit of a dark 1-2" core. But quite heavy.

I was told it was white oak, but I read someplace here that that is hard to split. This is not very hard to split. Cut this up last winter, had the rounds off the ground all year, and have space now to split and stack.

Any idea what this is?

The pieces you're showing look like ash to me. Notice the little holes in the bark? Thats from the emerald borer. Sometimes large ash can be mistaken for white oak.

The pieces you're showing look like ash to me. Notice the little holes in the bark? Thats from the emerald borer. Sometimes large ash can be mistaken for white oak.

Okay, I googled that a bit and it looks like ash indeed. I also did see something that could be a pencil hole down the center. Not everywhere though.

Thanks!

No snow. Look at the leaves on the ground. You will get your answer.

Reactions: stoveliker
Unfortunately this was a Craigslist scrounge, so no chance to check the leaves.

Any idea what this is?
Norway maple