U.S. Drought Monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the rain @Ashful. We got 1.25" here in the last 4 hours.

looking at the forecast, I might throw a little grass seed around on the lawn tomorrow.

The smoke has certainly made the sky hazy. But they kept talking about staying inside due to air quality, yet I haven’t smelled smoke or pollution of any kind. I smelled everything that was normal.

Compared to 2010 or 2011 when I did another roof replacement, this time with metal. The next morning I smelled heavy smoke in the air. It turned out to be wildfire smoke from Canada. Which was a relief, because I was afraid I had put a nail through a wire or something.

In Minnesota, they kept talking of rain, and it held off until just after the car show. Didn’t waste any time either. On the 30 minute drive back to the hotel, it went from sunny to lightning and wind gusts and raining buckets. And the temperature dropped 20-30 degrees. I was gonna check out some things but I just stayed in for the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
Of course they are. Bone dry for a month, then the day we start construction, the rains begin. ;lol

I'm just hoping the dead brown stripes in my lawn, representing corrugated drain pipes meant to drain the oft-wet areas, eventually grow back without having to replant. Man, it was crazy dry here!

Will head out and check our rain gauge shortly, but I'll be surprised if we didn't get at least an inch.

Make that 2.05”

U.S. Drought Monitor

Man, it was crazy dry here!
but I'll be surprised if we didn't get at least an inch.
Make that 2.05”
Yeah, we went weeks with nothing, like you did. The ground wasn't cracking yet but we could've easily soaked up another inch, no problem. We're pretty thrilled with the .75 that we did get, though. 🤗

We had some nice rains starting around 11 last night, just waiting on a phone call and then I'll check the rain gauge.

Accu was still calling for just over half an inch when I checked later last night.

Last night Accu was calling for 0.52 inches of rain, this is what we received.

U.S. Drought Monitor

Reactions: Dan Freeman
It can change quickly. The farm on the KS/CO border was in D4 30 days ago. In the last 30 days they have received over 6” of rain more than 4” above normal. Now they are D0/D1.

Too late to help the wheat but the dry land corn will have a decent crop if it doesn’t get bailed out. Milo has a good shot of average to above average yields too.

So... bad year for Weiss beer, but bourbon will fare fine?

• Haha
Reactions: woodgeek
Of course they are. Bone dry for a month, then the day we start construction, the rains begin. ;lol

I'm just hoping the dead brown stripes in my lawn, representing corrugated drain pipes meant to drain the oft-wet areas, eventually grow back without having to replant. Man, it was crazy dry here!

Will head out and check our rain gauge shortly, but I'll be surprised if we didn't get at least an inch.
Same here. I had this week off between car shows. Hoping to get some good work done on my Jeep. Nope. I came back to 40s and 50s and dark and rain. I don’t have a rain gauge. 52 and raining right now.

My grass was still mostly green. Just brown in the areas where I had been driving on it. But it was pretty dry. Last week there was a wildfire about 1.5 hours away that was started by a campfire.

I just checked Accu for tomorrow's weather, it might change but at the moment they're calling for 0.42 of an inch of rain.

Sounds good! Save some for the Poconos! We're showing storms for the afternoon.
I had just finished cooking some bone-in chicken breast on the grill, brought them in and we started supper. Five minutes into supper the rain came down real hard.

I never emptied the rain gauge from the other day so the first picture is from that rain and the second is from the heavy rain that started today around 5:20 p.m.

U.S. Drought Monitor U.S. Drought Monitor

We had an intense hail storm yesterday, which is pretty rare for my area. Not the golf ball size stuff you folks out in the midwest can get, these were like lima beans both in size and shape, but came down at a rate you'd think could only happen in the tropics. Within about 90 seconds, our gardens were completely covered about 1/2" deep in these hail stones. Then it was over, or more accurately, switched over to very heavy rain.

We were maybe more dry than you as of four days ago, but we're doing much better this week. I got another 0.35" on my rain gauge yesterday, atop the 2.05" on Monday. I'm not sure where 2.4" puts us on our monthly/yearly totals, but I'm just glad our month-long stay in the dust bowl seems to be ended.

It rained again after my last post of picture 0662, not half an inch but we'll take it.

More rain with thunderstorms and lightning are forecast.

U.S. Drought Monitor U.S. Drought Monitor U.S. Drought Monitor

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Yesterday Accu had us getting 0.51 but today and tonight the total has dropped to 0.24 of an inch of rain.

I did empty the rain gauge this morning so we'll see how close they are. I just looked at the radar and the heaviest rain is sliding just south of us by maybe a couple of miles.

I did empty the rain gauge this morning so we'll see how close they are. I just looked at the radar and the heaviest rain is sliding just south of us by maybe a couple of miles.
Yeah, it's amazing how much totals can vary locally. I've been watching the local PWSs around here lately.
Click "Maps and Radar," then "Wundermap." https://www.wunderground.com/

We got another two good periods of rain today. Lawn is finally turning green again. Of course it coincides with working in a muddy hole (pool install), so work has been at a standstill half the week.

We got another two good periods of rain today. Lawn is finally turning green again. Of course it coincides with working in a muddy hole (pool install), so work has been at a standstill half the week.
We got it with a 30min tornado/derecho warning, sitting in our finished basement.

Reactions: Ashful