U.S. Drought Monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One morning about two years ago, I awoke to find no one in the house. Odd and concerning, as I’m pretty much always the first one to wake.

After hunting all over the house, I call my wife’s cell phone, and she tells me they’re all in the basement. Apparently, tornado watches started going off in the middle of the night, and then they changed to tornado warnings, with a forecast showing them blowing right thru our neighborhood. So, she woke the kids and moved them to the basement sofa.

I began to wonder if she was trying to conveniently be rid of me! ;lol But she said she knew I’d have told her to just go back to bed, since it’s a stone house, and she felt better being in the basement.

For those of us who have our own rain gauge, I do something that improves the visibility of the rain level, especially if it is across the deck from where you are. I put one drop of red food coloring in the gauge. It show up great.

100_2955.JPG

For those of us who have our own rain gauge, I do something that improves the visibility of the rain level, especially if it is across the deck from where you are. I put one drop of red food coloring in the gauge. It show up great.

View attachment 313396

Now, I like that idea! That would be perfect for us, and I am sure others as well. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: thewoodlands
I emptied the rain gauge the other day so this is from later yesterday and today, it's still raining at the moment.

IMG_0670.JPG

Reactions: Dan Freeman

View attachment 313396
That's a good idea, I'll put some in but since it's way out in the front yard, I don't think the old eyes will see how much is in it from the house.

Starting tomorrow a few more days of light rain and then we have some warmer days ahead.

Got about 2.5" of rain yesterday afternoon. Finally, some deep driven moisture after a week of 1/8" drizzle nearly every day. The small amounts of moisture weren't enough to keep my gardens or potted plants going so I was still watering on occasion, but the "lawn" was happy and growing quickly. The previous small rains did keep the soil amenable to soaking in all the rain though, so I didn't have any ponding in my back yard where I normally would if the soil was too dry or too wet.

From what I saw on NOAA's site yesterday, they're calling for 1 to 2 inches of rain starting on tomorrow or Saturday with thunderstorms.

Just over half an inch of rain so far, they were calling for 1 to 2 inches of rain once this system moves out......hopefully by the weekend.

For us, nothing but golden orbs predicted. No rain in sight.

We had a short stretch that was very hot but it seems like most of June has been wet or when we did get rain, it came down hard.

With July 4th just around the corner, I'm glad we're getting the rain before the fireworks start.

It thunderstormed pretty good here yesterday. Supposed to rain through tomorrow.

Good point about the fireworks. Most towns here are on a body of water so that’s where they shoot them. But tons of wealthy vacationers bring their own big ones and we would have a mess if it was too dry.

We had another rocking thunderstorm this afternoon with downpours that outdid both storms this morning. I couldn't believe the amount of puddled/running water I saw down in the food forest.

Since this morning, we've had another 1.5 inches of rain. That makes 4.7 inches of rain since Monday, June 12th.

We had another rocking thunderstorm this afternoon with downpours that outdid both storms this morning. I couldn't believe the amount of puddled/running water I saw down in the food forest.

Since this morning, we've had another 1.5 inches of rain. That makes 4.7 inches of rain since Monday, June 12th.
That's a bunch of rain real quick. Nothing today for us, the local news just said rain tonight for our area, we'll see.

Your lawn must've greened up quick after being so dry.

I watched all those storms passing north of me on the radar today... looked intense.

Same here, Begreen. It hit one hundred five degrees this afternoon. I’d hoped to water my garden if it cools off this evening, but it’s still ninety eight degrees after seven o’clock, so I think I’ll have to wait till the morning to undertake that big job.

Same here, Begreen. It hit one hundred five degrees this afternoon. I’d hoped to water my garden if it cools off this evening, but it’s still ninety eight degrees after seven o’clock, so I think I’ll have to wait till the morning to undertake that big job.
Oof, that is baking hot. Keep yourself hydrated as well.

Oof, that is baking hot.
It might be, depending on the humidity. It was 95 here yesterday, but with humidity below 50% and a breeze, it was pretty nice in the shade, doing some auto work.
Now, the recent daytime highs in TX, out in the sun...that's hot! 🥵

We've had just under an inch of rain since this dry spell started, a couple of months ago--3/4" a couple weeks ago, plus .2" a couple days ago. Surrounding areas pretty close have gotten more, but we're in a little micro-climate right here that often misses out.
Fortunately, it's still pretty much spring weather here; Many years, this deep into summer, we could already be baking in the heat with the ground cracking open. 😳

Last edited:
Someone once described to me Texas summer as breathing through a rag soaked in diesel fuel. And run your water as long as you want, it will never get cold.

Living in Michigan all my life I won’t know. It’s 59 outside right now and I’m running my heater because my work insists on running the AC.

I know when I went to southern Illinois for the 2017 eclipse, that was all I could take. Just pounding water all day, staying in the shadow of my Jeep, and still I was about ready to pass out.

I know when I went to southern Illinois for the 2017 eclipse, that was all I could take. Just pounding water all day, staying in the shadow of my Jeep, and still I was about ready to pass out.
I remember it. We went to Dixon Springs SP. Yep, it was a normal hot day for around here--temp in the 90s (I don't recall exactly) and over 50% humid. Quite a few of the un-acclimated sat in their cars running the AC. How sad. 😆
We haven't really had any of those days yet this year, thankfully.
There was a good amount of trees/shade in the park. Shade got really good when the moon moved in. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: tlc1976

That's more rain than I have had in may and June combined!

All the heavier rains are staying west or east of us today, we had some rain between 4 and 5 but not much. Hopefully we get a steady rain overnight.

The temp tonight is suppose to be around 63, that'll be nice.