Ultra Black question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
I am going to be purchasing and installing a Lopi Cape Cod in the near future.

I have one question about the chimney connector pipe. I'm looking at using a reduced clearance chimney connector pipe by using ICC Excel with Ultra Black double wall pipe. The stove's manual says I have to utilize an HP connector pipe.

I've seen that ICC makes two types of Ultra Black, FS (full shield) and HP. I don't know what the HP stands for, like FS stands for Full Shield. I cannot find any information for the HP style ultra black, only that it has a 4" clearance standard while the FS has a 6" clearance standard.

My question is, can I use the FS pipe instead of the HP ultra black or do I NEED to use the HP connector pipe per the manual?

Does anyone have experience with the HP style of ultra black chimney connector pipe? Did anyone even know there were two types of Ultra Black?

I didn't until about 20 minutes ago when I read through the manual for the "FS" style.

Thanks

The only place ICC publishes the differences is in their manual. And in there, it specifies the differences, including HP pipe is only available through pro installers (I am paraphrasing). While I have never seen HP Ultrablack, and my install is all FS, if the minimum stove body clearances are greater than 6", I don't see any issue. Although perhaps a quick email or phone call to Lopi would answer the question if FS is "good enough" pretty quick :)

Per their definition of an alcove (ceiling height less than 7'), I don't think yours is considered an alcove with a 92" ceiling (from another post). So in my opinion (for what that's worth.. HAH!) yours is a standard installation.

They also say in the manual, page 10 "

Standard residential installations with reduced clearance connector may use the clearance determined by the manufacturer of the connector for the connector to wall clearance or the clearance listed in this
manual. Offsets must be used to maintain the stove to wall clearance. Mobile homes must use the clearances listed in this manual under "Additional Requirements for Mobile Home Installations".

Ultrablack website says.. "ULTRABlack not only keeps the flue temperatures higher, it keeps the outer pipe temperatures cooler. This allows ULTRABlack to be installed with only 6” clearance to combustible materials."..

Military training is probably killing me reading civilian manuals.. but if a manual says something.. So I'd say your pipe-wall clearance would be 6" using ultrablack. However, your back wall to stovetop will be your limiter since that min clearance is 11 3/4".

Again, I've been doing stove installations for all of a week, so I may be off...

Per their definition of an alcove (ceiling height less than 7'), I don't think yours is considered an alcove with a 92" ceiling (from another post). So in my opinion (for what that's worth.. HAH!) yours is a standard installation.

They also say in the manual, page 10 "

Standard residential installations with reduced clearance connector may use the clearance determined by the manufacturer of the connector for the connector to wall clearance or the clearance listed in this
manual. Offsets must be used to maintain the stove to wall clearance. Mobile homes must use the clearances listed in this manual under "Additional Requirements for Mobile Home Installations".

Ultrablack website says.. "ULTRABlack not only keeps the flue temperatures higher, it keeps the outer pipe temperatures cooler. This allows ULTRABlack to be installed with only 6” clearance to combustible materials."..

Military training is probably killing me reading civilian manuals.. but if a manual says something.. So I'd say your pipe-wall clearance would be 6" using ultrablack. However, your back wall to stovetop will be your limiter since that min clearance is 11 3/4".

Again, I've been doing stove installations for all of a week, so I may be off...
Yea I'm with you, these manuals are contradicting in many spots...

I emailed my dealer and Travis Indistries so we'll see what they say. I don't think it should be an issue if the clearances are met, which they will be while using offsets to maintain the stoves required clearances.

Thanks guys

Got a response from ICC via email:

"ULTRABlack HP is simply an older name for our ULTRABlack pipe. Today, we do not make the HP model anymore and make exclusively the FS version. The adapter that they are referring to is our Stove Adapter (Part number UBSE). So, as long as you're using ULTRABlack FS and a Stove Adapter, your installation will be perfect."

That settles that question, great customer service from ICC with a quick email response.

Glad to hear. When I emailed ICC a question a couple years back about their thimble, I had an answer within a day. Great service :)

I agree. My experience with ICC was great. They were very helpful, easy to reach by phone, checked with their engineers about my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.