Unattended Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Before I left for my daughters church Christmas play this morning, I threw on a few logs just to make sure it'd be nice-n-warm when we returned. Well, I spent the whole hour nervously thinking that I'd be hearing the neighborhood firetruck sirens pass by on the way to my house, and I was "praying" that I'd never do this again . Everything was fine when we got home but I'm generally around day or night and periodically check to make sure all is ok. I'm confident in my setup and installation, but it does make me a little nervous when noone is around. Do you just load-n-go and leave things alone 'til you get home? What's your general thoughts on unattended burning?

I have no problems loading the stove and leaving. I was nervous at first, but after doing it for a while it's not a big deal. My stove is safe and it all stays under control.

I try not to literally load and go. I like to make sure the wood lights off. After it gets going I'll back off on the primary and leave. I want to be sure that the fire is controlled.

Matt

I have been "loading and leaving" for 30 years. I would rather the joint burned down while I was twenty miles away rather than while I was sleeping upstairs. :mad:

Since I retired the only difference is that when I leave to go somewhere I yell to my wife upstairs "I'm leaving. From this point all alarms are real. It ain't the toaster".

EatonLimestone has pretty much taken the words outta my keyboard. I always try to have 30 minutes to monitor fire then turn down air supply prior to vacating the house.

adrpga498 said:
EatonLimestone has pretty much taken the words outta my keyboard. I always try to have 30 minutes to monitor fire then turn down air supply prior to vacating the house.

My practice exactly.

I load the stove good in the evening for an overnight burn. However, I could do the same in the morning before leaving for work but just do not feel comfortable doing so. Instead. I load it moderately in the morning when I first get up and don't reload before I leave.

Unless it is in the teens or lower all day, my house will still be in the mid 60's when I come home, so I don't mind relighting.

pen

FPX Dude said:
Before I left for my daughters church Christmas play this morning, I threw on a few logs just to make sure it'd be nice-n-warm when we returned. Well, I spent the whole hour nervously thinking that I'd be hearing the neighborhood firetruck sirens pass by on the way to my house, and I was "praying" that I'd never do this again . Everything was fine when we got home but I'm generally around day or night and periodically check to make sure all is ok. I'm confident in my setup and installation, but it does make me a little nervous when noone is around. Do you just load-n-go and leave things alone 'til you get home? What's your general thoughts on unattended burning?

Not the slightest hesitation, nor did it ever occur to me to worry about it. But then, overfiring is not a problem my tiny stove is even capable of unless I loaded it up with pallet wood or something.

Seems to me if you know your stove and know your wood supply and just proceed the way you do before going to bed, there's no reason to worry. They don't go wild just because you're not in the house. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
I have been "loading and leaving" for 30 years. I would rather the joint burned down while I was twenty miles away rather than while I was sleeping upstairs. :mad:

Since I retired the only difference is that when I leave to go somewhere I yell to my wife upstairs "I'm leaving. From this point all alarms are real. It ain't the toaster".

BB,

Your comments are SO FUNNY! Especially funny in that in our house hubby is connected to so much medical equipment all his alarms go off if we lose electric power or his batteries get low. "It ain't the toaster" in our house either! Thanks for today's best laugh!

Shari

I'm loading my stove in the morning, and I mean I pack it just like it was an overnight burn, and that's at 5:20 am. I leave for work at 6:30, and normally I have it set to cruise by that time. My wife doesn't leave for work until 7:45 so that's nice, she checks on it before she leaves, but she doesn't load any more wood into it.

I always have coals when I come home at 4pm, and I fire it right back up then.

The only time I won't leave a stove unattended is during a startup from cold when I've got the loading door cracked open. Other than that, even if I'm dumb enough (and I most certainly am) to walk away and forget about it with the primary open wide, or even the bypass still open on the Liberty, the worst that happens is my fuel load disappears a good deal more quickly than I'd intended. Rick

IMO this is a hurdle that everyone has to jump their first year of burning.
Some folks can clear the issue with ease while others of us struggle with every step.

The first night I left mine "home alone" was Christmas Eve '07- I came home to a blocked off street with flashing lights and a firetruck in view. I had to drive around and approach from another direction, heart pounding all the way- I even saw a cat with similar coloring to one of mine running around loose. When I finally got through I found that my across the street neighbor had a chimney fire. But for those few minutes I was sure I had burnt my house down.
Now I can go shopping, go visiting, and even sleep a full night through with confidence.

Choose a high quality, safe unit, get CO detectors and fire extinguishers, make sure the installation is up to snuff, maintain your equipment, and learn all you can about operating safely. If you can do all that you have done the best you can do to ensure a safe wood burning experience and can feel confident about leaving your home with the fire burning.

I'm not so afraid of the stove malfunctioning or burning up ..... I'm more concerned of "human error" (that'd be ME) when I load it up. Did a spark fly out onto the carpet and I didn't notice it? Did I seal the stove door shut tightly? Did I inadvertently vacuum up a hot ember with the mini-quick-vac I use to keep the hearth clean?

Although my wife is certain we're gonna die of carbon monoxide poisening or else I'll burn down our house, I'm getting more and more comfortable over the past couple months "loading and leaving". But I'll still wait a half hour or so just to make sure the carpet isn't smoking (I'll get a tiled "hearth pad" soon) or the vacuum isn't igniting, and I'll make sure the ash bucket is outside, and the fire door is tightly sealed, and the air supply is cut down a bit ....

stockdoct said:
I'm not so afraid of the stove malfunctioning or burning up ..... I'm more concerned of "human error" (that'd be ME) when I load it up. Did a spark fly out onto the carpet and I didn't notice it? Did I seal the stove door shut tightly? Did I inadvertently vacuum up a hot ember with the mini-quick-vac I use to keep the hearth clean?

Although my wife is certain we're gonna die of carbon monoxide poisening or else I'll burn down our house, I'm getting more and more comfortable over the past couple months "loading and leaving". But I'll still wait a half hour or so just to make sure the carpet isn't smoking (I'll get a tiled "hearth pad" soon) or the vacuum isn't igniting, and I'll make sure the ash bucket is outside, and the fire door is tightly sealed, and the air supply is cut down a bit ....

How old is your carpet? When I researched hearth rugs, I discovered that most of the decent-looking stuff that's sold as hearth rugs is exactly the same composition of materials as the stuff that isn't sold as hearth rugs. You can get super-duper extra-fire-resistant hearth rugs, but most of them I wouldn't have in my home, and they really aren't necessary unless you're throwing your burning stuff around just for fun. Turns out something like 20 years ago, a law went into effect in the U.S. requiring all rugs and carpets be essentially fireproof, so that a spark will extinguish in some number of seconds, leaving you with no more than a melted spot. If you dropped an entire flaming log on one, you'd get some sort of a fire, but not from a spark too small to notice.

My late mother was a demon cigarette smoker, and when I went to clean out her study after she passed, I discovered to my horror multiple good-sized melted places from dropped cigarettes in the carpet around her desk. Gave me the willies, but the lesson here is that that's all that happened-- spots on the carpet basically melted, but the hardwood floor underneath was unmarked and my mother didn't burn the house down.

Cut it out with the vacuum, though, please. That's a risk that makes absolutely no sense. Sweep the stuff up with an ordinary dustpan and brush and dump it immediately into your ashcan or the stove itself. You don't have to eat off of that hearth, just keep it decent, and the vacuum just isn't worth the risk, whether you're at home to watch it burn or not.

As for the door-- after my misadventure with the door handle popping open a couple times when the tip of the latch broke off, I'm totally paranoid about double checking that. I reccommend paranoia about doors. But realistically, unless your stove is on a badly slanted floor, the door isn't going to swing wide open and logs aren't going to jump out of the firebox onto the sofa. A not quite shut door is just going to burn up your wood faster than you want. That's all that happened when my door unlatched itself, I came downstairs in the morning to an unusually chilly first floor.

In other words, be careful, but then relax. Ditch the vacuum for sure. That's the only truly dangerous thing here that I can see.

I make it a rule to load and watch the fire peak, then close the air supply for the day and go. I'd never load and leave. Reckless, as if the fire runs away with a full load in it, and I am not there to slow or stop it, bye house.

LeonMSPT said:
I make it a rule to load and watch the fire peak, then close the air supply for the day and go. I'd never load and leave. Reckless, as if the fire runs away with a full load in it, and I am not there to slow or stop it, bye house.

Just curious though, what can happen IF the stove overfires? I mean, what temp are the pipes designed for?

They vary... I'd consider the insert or stove itself failing a higher risk if it was a single incident. My liner in my main chimney where the VC 0044 lives is rated at 2200 degrees for twenty minutes, three times. Cousin says he's never seen one go to pieces, been selling them and installing them for awhile. It's inside of a humungous chimney that was built 150 years ago when the house was put up. The insurance adjuster just laughed when I said I hope they wouldn't have a problem with the system. I like wood heat, and was going to be mad if they caused trouble.

"Wish they were all done that way. The thing was built to have a fire in the fireplace. You lined it with insulated stainless steel to the top of the chimney and then put an airtight woodstove where there used to be an open fire. We like them."

Might not even burn the house down with runaway fire, just mangle your stove or insert and render it unusable, and damage the liner. I've replaced parts in mine that were damaged by some early adventures, before tightening the connector between the insert and liner, and redoing the gaskets on the doors.

Now it sits nice and pretty and cleaned up in the living room, cold as a dead fish. New wood/coal boiler up and chugging in the basement and I like not hauling loads of wood into the living room and keeping the fire going all night and day. Cold? No problem, turn up the thermostat. :)

When you know your stove and you know your wood, this is less of an issue. I like to watch it for 30 minutes before i leave - make sure everything is caught enough i can throttle it down before i go. I worry more about the fire going out too early than it going wild.

Bingo... it's unlikely to "run away" once it's peaked and turned down on the air supply. I've never heard of a run away after peak, absent some catastrophic failure in the stove which would be uncontrollable anyway. I suppose the difference is you calling the fire department, or your neighbor.

Like the others, I leave with the stove running all the time. If I didn't the house would be cold!

That said, I'll echo the same sentiment... I won't leave until the stove is cruising and the air is set. I won't just throw some splits on a bed of coals and walk out the door. That's just asking for trouble.

-SF

FPX Dude said:

Yes.

I leave my stove home burning alone all the time and have never had any worries about it. if I did not burn it while I was away then the house would be cold and passably have frozen pipes as my house has no other heat source.

I load before I go like others here. Watch it for about 30 minutes and then cut the air way down. My only worry is my dog home alone. I have asked the neighbors to keep an eye on things (smoke). The house and everything in it could be replaced in the unlikely event of a fire, but not our dog. When we return home he does not look worried because he is usually sleeping with his face on the heart pad radiating heat :coolsmile:

This is our first year burning, and like many others I was concerned about leaving a fire. I'm not that concerned about the house, but our two dogs would not have a good time in the event of a fire. The first coupla times we had a fire while we were at work, I kept calling our home phone to make sure the answering machine picked up. I figured that if it did, the house was still standing. we have been burning 24/7 for almost two weeks now, and I don't call the house any more.

The only time that I don't load and leave is if the fire is so low that I'm afraid it would go out before I get back,my stoves don't normally ever get that cold unless I screw up.All of house that I've lived in,the main woodburner is in the basement with plenty of space around it,I feel that the biggest threat in that instance is from a chimney fire,I check my chimneys often,at least once a month with a mirror through the cleanout door and I will clean it a few times a winter,whenever we do get a nice day.If your confident in your installation and maintenance,there really isn't any reason to worry about burning wood.

We've been burning wood most of our lives (we've both retired now) and don't even blink when it comes time to leave the house unattended. It's no different from when we go to bed at night.

If we are to be away many hours and it is cold outdoors, we load it right up. If the weather is somewhat warm with sunshine, we don't put much in. Either way, it takes only 10-15 minutes after loading wood to be certain that all is well and we can be gone. We don't worry a bit while gone either as we know what we'll find when we get home. That is usually that the stove needs more wood! End of worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.