unburnt fuel, overflowing burn pot, high flames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
exhaust release in a direct vent stove MUST be from the exhaust blower connection through the pipes , a leak anywhere "upstream" towards the fire would suck air in making for a bad burn but not for leakage out as the stove operates under negative presure, you are on the right track with the damper, you want to slowly adjust it closed to find the "sweet spot" where you have adequate combustion air and do not load up but are still capturing the max amount of heat. stack velocity can rob heat but makes for a pretty burn, you have to hit that happy medium to get optimal performance

I got the pipes siliconed up now and with the draft back a nudge, it seems to be good about 4 hours into this burn test. I may push the draft in a bit more tomorrow to see what it does. I already noticed the glass got dirty fast tonight, so i may already bee too closed from ideal.

briansol said:
18 hours burning now and it's still fine in the burn pot.

But, now i have smoke-smell in the house issues.

I woke up this morning with a wicked headache and the whole house smells of smoke.

I can't visually see any smoke escaping from anywhere.

Would the draft opening cause the smoke smell? or should i be focusing on the exhaust? I think i'm going to run out to the local store and grab some of that pipe sealer (hi temp silicone) just to be safe, but it was never 'glued' from the stock installation either and i never had this problem.

Wow sounds like a lucky escape, you dont have detectors for air quality installed ??

I have like 8 smoke detectors and 2 CO detectors and none of them went off. The CO's read 0 the whole time. I don't have any of those high tech digital expensive things that tell me anything more.

Keep in mind, I have an insert, and while certainly not air tight, the exhaust is IN the fireplace area and the smoke's natural leek is to climb the chimney. Although capped, i too doubt that is an air-tight seal.

I do have a very sensitive nose, though. The joys of being an ex-smoker :X My buddy who rents my spare room didn't even notice it.

briansol said:
I have like 8 smoke detectors and 2 CO detectors and none of them went off. The CO's read 0 the whole time. I don't have any of those high tech digital expensive things that tell me anything more.

Keep in mind, I have an insert, and while certainly not air tight, the exhaust is IN the fireplace area and the smoke's natural leek is to climb the chimney. Although capped, i too doubt that is an air-tight seal.

I do have a very sensitive nose, though. The joys of being an ex-smoker :X My buddy who rents my spare room didn't even notice it.

Think 2what your poor dog and cat went through. :blank:

Status
Not open for further replies.