Understanding my current system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
I know some of this is very elementary to many of you. I have attached a diagram of my current oil fired system with proposed water storage on the right and BoilerMate indirect DHW to replace the "in furnace" water heater (hate it) on the left side of the furnace.

Can any of you show me where to pipe in the outside wood gasifier to this exsisting system so the oil boiler remains active in the event the wood fire should go out?

Maybe someone can take the jpeg and add to it. Im trying to understand how a system like this will work so I can forge ahead with some real work.

Attachments

• currentsystem.jpg
    currentsystem.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 328
trehugr said:
I know some of this is very elementary to many of you. I have attached a diagram of my current oil fired system with proposed water storage on the right and BoilerMate indirect DHW to replace the "in furnace" water heater (hate it) on the left side of the furnace.

Can any of you show me where to pipe in the outside wood gasifier to this exsisting system so the oil boiler remains active in the event the wood fire should go out?

Maybe someone can take the jpeg and add to it. Im trying to understand how a system like this will work so I can forge ahead with some real work.

One possibility would be to plumb it in parallel with the oil boiler - give it a pair of circ pumps just like the oil. Might take some head scratching and a couple of relays to get the control logic figured out, but it would make the two systems independent.

I did a similar approach with mine, except that I have one circ for each boiler and zone valves to control which zones get heat. If you haven't checked it out, I have a schematic on my site.

Status
Not open for further replies.