Uneven door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSBURN

Nov 20, 2016
Elizabethtown, Ontario
I have replaced the door gasket and it is not applying an even pressure around the door.

And it is very hard to close, in fact I had to change the door roller lock because it bent.....too strong friend trying to help.

The dollar test...it is fairly snug along the top, but the bottom it is impossible to pull the dollar without tearing it.

Any suggestions as to how to trim, shave, hammer the bottom portion of the gasket.

Plus because it's so tight, my wife can't get the handle turned far enough to close the door and I'm going through wood like no tomorrow.

And the house gets to about 80.

Was the gasket replacement a factory gasket of the correct size?

See if you can remove the gasket... Reinstall while "stretching" the gasket along the bottom, which will reduce the thickness of the gasket somewhat.

You're going to have to reinstall a gasket. Maybe you can reuse the new one. Maybe you'll have to buy a new one.

To begin with begreen, the gasket was replaced with the same style, size and the brand sent by the retailer.

cannonball cobb, I had the chimney cleaned this summer by the same retailer and their crew did the "dollar" test to say all was okay except the bent door latch, which I replaced about a month ago.

CheapBassTurd, the channel was as clean as I could get it. There might be a wee bit of old adhesive remaining, but not enough to affect the thickness of the gasket.

EatenByLimestone, I have another gasket if needed, but I'll need to wait until a warmer day and the stove is cool to do any replacement activity.

My wonder is if there is a way to shave down the high parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.