Unique Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
For us anyway.....

This might sound like same old same old job for some people but we don't often find ourselves doing this type of install so bear with me.

Customer has a 8" ID clay tile flue. It was built back in the 80's specifically for a wood stove in the basement. There is what appears to be an 8" hole in the block behind a drywalled wall down there. There is also an ash clean-out with a really cheap door on it.

My idea is to dump the stove directly into the clay flue (if it passes inspection). We would never get an insulated liner down there so whats the point of even doing a liner I say.

Wall pass through - I am thinking of using this simpson duravent wall pass-through. It comes with a thimble to pass through the block as well as a giant round spacer to keep clearances going through the wall, you can also hook DVL (black double wall) pipe directly up to it. I am waiting for a call from simpson to see how this would work out.

Ash door - I think we need to replace it with an air tight door, right? Seems to be they are all supposed to be mortared in. Has anyone replaced these after the fact? What is involved? I am thinking about just having the chimney sweep do this so I don't have to worry about it.

Any comments or ideas welcome, us and the customer both want this install to be safe, yet cost effective.

When I tore out our chimney there were several plastered over openings. The wood around one was darkened. I have no doubt that if I hadn't lined the chimney it would have been a prime candidate for pyrolysis. Too often, when folks seal things up, they fail to think about the next home owner. If this is a nice tall stack, would 5.5" insulated pipe work?

BeGreen said:
When I tore out our chimney there were several plastered over openings. The wood around one was darkened. I have no doubt that if I hadn't lined the chimney it would have been a prime candidate for pyrolysis. Too often, when folks seal things up, they fail to think about the next home owner. If this is a nice tall stack, would 5.5" insulated pipe work?

Maybe but we wont do that. I also know the chimney was NEVER used. There is only one hole in it, which is the one we will be using. I am also going to have a sweep inspect it and sign off on it. They will do a video scan of the whole flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.