Unique solar energy storage solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
solar energy, CO2, and water to make methane.

Thats a new twist!

Reactions: semipro
This is a 2013 paper. I just read recently that this technology is coming online as a product. Will have to dig a bit to find it. The downside of this direction is that it would take really big machines and lots of them, and that has its own carbon debt. But carbon capture may be one of the tools combined with others to reduce atmospheric CO2.

I'd prefer to make hydrogen using solar rather than methane. Leaks will occur, and methane is the worst (for climate change).

The disadvantage would be the fact that no carbon was captured - but with a full blown methane production process and existing combustion appliances, the carbon sequestration is minimal (only as much as is needed to be in the CH4 economy to keep things flowing).
I.e. if we don't store a decade worth of methane, it's not going to make a worthwhile difference in the climate aspect (as compared to e.g. hydrogen production).

I’m not sure about that. If they can make a fuel that can be stored, it’s a battery. It just becomes a step in the carbon cycle. It may make drilling/fracking less needed.

Also, if they can make methane, other hydrocarbons are possible. They may take more energy to produce though.

I’d clue in on the storage aspect. It’s a battery that doesn’t involve mining lithium.

I agree. But a medium that is less problematic for the climate (and has the same "solar battery" advantages) would be preferable to me.

We have a quite poor record in methane leaks.

Methane is not that particularly hard to seal, its just a matter of economics, it used to be cheap or a waste product so the cost benefit for sealing leaks was marginal.