1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Unknown Pellet Stove that needs repair- To Buy or Not To Buy?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Jon McIver, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jon McIver

Jon McIver New Member

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/app/3537836327.html

Is this worth my time? I'm new to the Pellet world, but have spent lots of time lurking/reading here.
    Is it possible the firebox could be repaired with some refractory cement, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance
    Jon

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Looks to need a bit of welding thats not a big deal. The bigger problem is the reason it got to hot. No overlimit switch? Early stoves did not. I would not feel comfortable with this in my home. Shed with constant attention maybe. Exaust fan probably not in good shape if fire got to it too. Are they going to pay you? 25 years old will probably need new convection fan. This is a major project IMO
    fmsm likes this.
  3. wwert

wwert Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern CT.
    That looks like an Enviro EF1. If so I would grab it in a heartbeat. It does have a high limit disc, some moron probably bypassed it. worth more than that for scrap or parts.
  4. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    If no high limit switch exists, it would be pretty easy to wire one in series with the auger motor.
  5. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Still have the main issue of why the overfire. Bad control board? Or the controls all mechanical like a first gen Whitfield?
  6. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    My inlaws had a near identical model to this. It worked well but its efficiency was damn near terrible compared to their mt Vernon. It's def a good buy for the price, provided you can restore it.
  7. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Jon. Even if your time is only worth a dollar, this stove is probably not worth your time. I say this seeing that I am quite outnumbered here, but hell man, its 25 years old. If you want a decent used stove, you will find much better for anywhere from $500-$800 on Craigslist. If this stove overfired, it may need all new parts and IF you can get them, they will cost you more than this. Your best bet is to give the guy the $10, grab that adjustable 45 degree elbow and pipe, (which you will need anyway) and forget to take the stove. Not looking to argue with the others here offering advice, just wanted to give you my two cents..
    slvrblkk likes this.
  8. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    Pass!

Tom C.
    Delta-T likes this.
  9. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    makes pretty good boat anchor.
  10. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Its next to the trash buckets, I think that gives you a good idea.
    CT Pellet likes this.
  11. zrtmatos

zrtmatos Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Pass it. You can do better and not waste time.
  12. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    Pass, he is throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks.

If it was worth a dam he'd fix it. Clearly he looked into getting it rolling and said flock it.

In his words need work to make safe and efficient. Want a dangerous rove that is inefficient?