1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Unsure what to think....

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Paul Raz, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    So as I posted before, I scored 2 tons of Somersets and was happily burning them. They seemed to burn well but they also seemed to leave a lot of ash and made the glass pretty messy. But ash and messy glass I can deal with as long as the heat output is good. Then I came across a very local place to me which carries Hamers Hot ones and I decided to buy 10 bags to try. Although they seemed to burn a little quicker they alo seemed to throw a lot more heat with a lot less ash and left the glass clean. Could this just be a rare few bags or is the difference that big? With the Somersets the house was constant 74 downstairs 73 up. Hamers I turned it off when the downstairs was at 80 and the upstairs at 78. Felt like summer!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. djs_net

djs_net Member

Loc:
    CT
    I burned almost 2 tons of Hamers last year with great results but around here they go for $295/ton. I'm not surprised you like them, how much did you pay?

I've burned some Somersets this season and really liked them, especially at 209/ton. I wish I could find more.
  3. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Both pellets have good reputations around here. I wonder if the warmer day today is influencing the extra heat you're feeling from the Hamers?
    oldmountvernon likes this.
  4. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    They were about $6.00 a bag. But by the ton they are $295 delivered or $280 3 tons or more
  5. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    I burned them yesterday right after the Somersets! But I'm switching back to sets tomorrow to see if that is the case
  6. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    By the way no disrespect to the Somersets, I still like them a lot.
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

Good pellets for sure, but when you can get the Sets for about $70-80 cheaper, they are the way to go, IMO.
    jrsdws likes this.