Up in tree cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Does anyone climb up in trees to cut branches?

I have done it just make sure you have the right gear for climbing, and if using a ladder tie it off and still belt in. Nothing worse than falling.

Tie off to a branch behind me?

I know a guy in town who did it off a ladder and ended up in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

Reactions: Fred Wright
As others said be very careful. It's worth it to pay a pro if needed. Even small size branches can be very unpredictable, knocking others into you or taking out ladders. Without basic quality rigging gear and a thorough knowledge of wood felling behavior, i'd hire someone.

i have climbed up a lot of trees to take limbs down, and i have also hired people to do it! it really depends on how easily you can get up into the tree, what you are cutting, and where you will be felling it.

It's cumbersome but I usually use my tree stand harness and cinch it tight to the main trunk before I start cutting. Big thing is don't tie off to the part your cutting! I know it sounds stupid but I have seen some people do stupid stuff. Also if you think whatever you are tying off to could break it probably will.

If you go my route and use the tree harness make sure you take out the slack otherwise you can get seriously hurt by the short fall and sudden stop.

10-15 feet on a ladder is my limit and I'll lash both side rails
I have a safety harness around here someplace put away that I used to use too.

The main thing to remember know where you are at what your cutting, and using the right climbing gear. One wrong move and you can never take it back. Knowing how to rig up the branches, or parts of the tree being removed is essential. Mess that up and you guys on the ground and what ever else will pay the price. As someone else stated above sometimes it just easier to hire a professional who does it day in day out.

Reactions: Jason763
definitely don't cut below you :)

Like Sprinter says, if you need to ask you probably shouldn't be climbing.
Lots of hazards, even for arborists that know what they are doing. Things tend to go bad quickly. It's a craft not learned in books, with skills passed from knowledgeable climber to newbie.
Much can go wrong. Up in a tree is not where you want to unexpectedly learn applied physics.
Hire a pro.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Local tree professional was killed recently while up in a tree cutting, branch doubled back on him.

What chance do I have?

If you have to question it or are unsure call a tree guy. Always better to be safe than sorry, especially in this type of scenario.

now what you want to do is get a skid loader and put the bucket up ALL THE WAY. . . . thennnnnnn put your extension ladder in the bucket and prop your ladder against the tree and finally climb up the ladder and begin trimming!

DO NOT DO THIS

I was just kidding but I have seen that act performed already while driving down the road. .. . . wow

Status
Not open for further replies.