Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Anyone know this tree?
No cut or split wood pic available, unfortunately.
Leaves were 2-2.5" long

IMG_20240203_140725330.jpg IMG_20240203_140749513_HDR.jpg

Just a guess but it looks a bit like Chinese Evergreen Oak, Quercus myrsinifolia. Any sign of small acorns near it?

Similar, though more common in Europe with a bigger acorn and I think shorter leaves.
I have some of these, q.ilex and the acorns are the smallest compared to other Italian oaks, the leaves also match, the Chinese version should not reach that size and the leaves should have some red tendency, but the differences are often subtle.

Must be north shore?

I have some of these, q.ilex and the acorns are the smallest compared to other Italian oaks, the leaves also match, the Chinese version should not reach that size and the leaves should have some red tendency, but the differences are often subtle.
Chinese evegreen oaks can reach 35-45' here but you could be right. I'm not an arborist and the details on the tree are limited. Like I said, just a guess.

Reactions: Prometeo
Well, I was hoping to stump some folks - but having someone here that has them in their backyard made that hard.

Begreen was close, but prometeo was correct.

Yes, it's quercus ilex. In fact, located on Piazza della Indipendenza, Firenze, Tuscany.
I didn't recognize the tree at first, but the ground was full of these:

IMG_20240203_140753004_HDR.jpg

it is a sacred tree, it is present in all Italian towns and cities, it is said that it was the wood used, for the cross of Jesus, tree that lives for centuries, if you have a chance to grow one, it's a good thing, it will always cast a shadow, then reflect on the ideal position.

Reactions: stoveliker
As noted, details were missing and why a picture of its acorn was requested. Tuscany is a long way from Long Island. Even farther from Seattle!

Reactions: Prometeo
Yep. Work trip, and 2 days in nearby Florence
Saw a tree and it was.interestingn(to me).

It looks to sunny and green to LI in February. I knew it was a live oak but didn’t recognize the species. New one to me this year was willow oak. Get to pick up leaves twice a year! And they don’t decompose very quickly.

Yes. I believe it's also called holm oak.
Nice evergreen - and as many such its leaves appear a little waxy on top.
My 4 ft dia monster magnolia back in TN was worse tho for not decomposing its leaves.

Reactions: EbS-P
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I never saw it before.

Reactions: stoveliker