Update on NSPS EPA regulation for wood burning. What it means to you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
laynes69 said:
So currently my woodfurnace is rated around 7g per hour. What you are saying is a 90,000 btu furnace can put out 40g and be within spec? If I'm reading that right, that's quite a difference. Maybe it's difficult, but they should be as efficient as others. I have seen a few furnaces putting out between 1 and 4.5 gph according to the tests. Blaze king, napoleon, and Kuuma are a few. I guess anyway it's looked at, if it meets EPA certification it's been proven for it's abilities and not just a sales claim.

Actually, if you look at the previous post it's a different unit of measurement. Grams per unit of time (hours) is fine for smaller fire boxes but next to impossible for larger ones. A small stove where you can only place 5lbs worth of wood versus a large furnace where you put 50 lbs is not a fair measurement. It's like saying a large dump truck must have the same fuel consumption as a itty bitty 'smart' car. It just cannot physically happen.

The PSG Caddy was the first EPA certified wood furnace on the market. but other mfg's have had a hard time to meet the current regulation. That is why it is much better to change the standards for furnaces to grams per energy released (g per megajoules). The standards are still really tight but now takes into account larger fireboxes.

I see. I think it's a good direction for central heaters. It's nice to see more efficient units hitting the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.