Update on problem with Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone,

For those who saw my post from a few days ago about mistake I made (fell asleep on a full load, wide open, for entire burn) and the resulting loss in secondaries, here's where I'm at. As I mentioned, I sealed the gap between the collar and stove pipe that was drawing air, and the next fire was perfect. Then, today, I had the same issue - excellent burn early, began to shut down at normal temps and rate (which ALWAYS worked), and very tough time getting the secondaries to light, especially toward the rear of the stove, and began to snuff the fire at near full closed primary. I check for air leaks again - found a little more air leaking at collar (sealed it) and air leaking pretty bad from slip connector and at elbow. So, I sealed those with stove cement as well. I'm getting ready for the next load and we'll see.

One more question - I never bothered to look, but I also noticed quite a bit of air being drawn into the gap between the chimney collar where the stove pipe taps into the masonry - I guess it was like this before, but I suppose the pipe could have warped someone under high temp, creating a gap. Since the stove is drafting very well at startup, I'm guessing this wouldn't have a drastic effect on the secondary performance - what do you think?

P.S. I check the baffle as well looks perfect.

Cheers!

Well, just finished the final shut down on the Manny, and she's purring right along. I hope I've finally got the main issues solved - I'll plan to replace the stovepipe sections this summer and start fresh. Cheers!

Replacing the sections should solve it, but if the draft is strong, the warping shouldn't be an issue.

Matt

Well, just finished the final shut down on the Manny, and she's purring right along. I hope I've finally got the main issues solved - I'll plan to replace the stovepipe sections this summer and start fresh. Cheers!
All things considered, it is a cheap and easy repair.

Glad the Manny isn't busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.