UPDATE to ......Oh no, another I need help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
Since I can't find a way to make a diagram of my house I'll describe it as best I can. 1950s 1400 sq ft. ranch with living room, kitchen and laundry on the north side of house. Three bedrooms and bath on the south side of house (all in rectangle) My sun-room is attached and open to the southeast end of the 3rd bedroom making a small "L" (BR is now an office). A Long hallway seperates the north and south side of the house. Not an open floor plan but you can see the living room from the laundry room (Doorways are 32") Ok, I have been heating my house for 4 yrs with my dutchwest that is in the sun-room. The Dutchwest will be used as a occasional burner and I want to install an insert in my existing fireplace in the living room (I believe heat distribution will be better). I have looked at several stoves with a priority on durability and overnight burns. I have looked at Buck, Napolean, Lopi, Joutl, Hampton and Pacific Energy. My fireplace opening is 32hx42wx20d but it slopes in at 13" high. I think I have it narrowed down to the Hampton HI300 or the PE Super.
The total price for the installed Hampton or the PE stove, oversize surround, insulated liner, insulated block-off plate and tax are $3600 (and change) from two different dealers. I thought the PE would be cheaper but not so. Are these prices in line with what everyone else is paying?
Also, both are using Olympic for the liner and block-off materials (My chimney is external facing the west).
I like the Stainless internals and the pinch point for the door seal of the PE but the Hampton has a slightly larger box and is a little more attractive but I thought if I could save 2/3 hundred that would help me pick the PE but being equal price I don't know.
The PE dealer is charging me $140 more for the super over last years medium model which I thought $2000 for a 08 model was too high as it was...but I don't know. O
Any comments would be appreciated since I don't want to end up regretting my decision as I did with my other stove.
Thanks!

I think I'm leaning toward the PE super after checking w/ the bbb. Hampton guy ?? . PE guy goood! Although PE guy uses a chimney sweep to install and bbb has no info for any sweeps for some reason.?
Are there questions I should ask to determine if chimney guy has a good reputation?

Thanks again!

Ask your Hampton dealer if he also sells the Regency line. If so, ask for a price comparison of the HI300 to the Regency I2400. It's the same stove but without the castiron window dressing.

The PE insert has a lifetime warranty on the stainless steel upper baffle.I really like the VC Mountpieler huge front door glass, cast construction only sits out on hearth maybe 2".

i think you'll find that the pe will hold up better thru the years, and has a better warranty. the straight in fuel loading is a big plus for an insert as well. I have the list price on the pe w/ oversize surround at 2157, so he is giving you a break.. even if it is last years model (its not like this years stove are equipped with gps or onstar or anything) it will be identical to this yrs... steel and firebrick tend to have a long shelf life.

BeGreen said:
Ask your Hampton dealer if he also sells the Regency line. If so, ask for a price comparison of the HI300 to the Regency I2400. It's the same stove but without the castiron window dressing.

They both do....but the Regency is $300 less than either stove but I personally don't fnd it very attactive. If I'm spending upwards of 3k I want a nicer looking stove and the PE and Hampton are very attractive stoves (although the Hampton more so.).

Daryl said:
The PE insert has a lifetime warranty on the stainless steel upper baffle.I really like the VC Mountpieler huge front door glass, cast construction only sits out on hearth maybe 2".

VC (or whoever they are now??) will not get anymore of my money due to the issues w/my dutchwest!

bsa0021 said:
Daryl said:

VC (or whoever they are now??) will not get anymore of my money due to the issues w/my dutchwest!

What was up with your dutchwest.

bsa0021 said:
BeGreen said:

They both do....but the Regency is $300 less than either stove but I personally don't fnd it very attactive. If I'm spending upwards of 3k I want a nicer looking stove and the PE and Hampton are very attractive stoves (although the Hampton more so.).

In this genre, you might also want to look at the Jotul C450 and C550 (if it will fit). But if you go with the Hampton, it should work well. We hear very few complaints about this insert. And it has a bit larger firebox.

If considering a PE I should mention that rumor is that they are getting ready to release an Alderlea series of inserts around end of year. My understanding is that they'll have the same guts, but with the cast iron Alderlea window dressing.

BeGreen said:
bsa0021 said:
BeGreen said:

In this genre, you might also want to look at the Jotul C450 and C550 (if it will fit). But if you go with the Hampton, it should work well. We hear very few complaints about this insert. And it has a bit larger firebox.

If considering a PE I should mention that rumor is that they are getting ready to release an Alderlea series of inserts around end of year. My understanding is that they'll have the same guts, but with the cast iron Alderlea window dressing.
Begreen: I did look at the jotul 450/550 but at $2900 just for the stove (450) I did not think it was worth an extra 7-9 hundred. Plus the dealer was an idiot.....they don't install insulated liners and never heard of block-off plates.

Daryl said:
bsa0021 said:
Daryl said:

Search my name and dutchwest

bsa0021 said:
Daryl said:
bsa0021 said:
Daryl said:

Search my name and dutchwest

Uh, when I do that, all I get is THIS thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.