Upgrading manufactured fireplace. Need your suggestions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummer

Jan 7, 2015
Kickapoo
I have a manufactured fireplace with two blowers on the sides. In the rear of the box is a radiator type panel that I believe is part of the blower.

I have a tri-level home and I run my HVAC fan continuously.

We burn wood very frequently. Fireplace heats my downstairs very well but seems very little heat gets upstairs. I have an open stairwell. Wood is consumed very quickly. We are constantly adding wood. Fireplace has a non- adjustable damper. Fully open or closed. Fireplace is mounted on the exterior of my home. It was an after thought when the home was built. Chimney is the old triple wall type. House built in early seventies.

For years I have been wanting to increase the efficiency of this unit and or upgrade it. I would love to reduce my LP heating costs. I have seeked solutions from local shops. Their overall solution is install an insert or install an EPA grade fireplace.

The wife absolutely loves the large viewing area and the sounds of fire crackling. Every insert we have seen has a very small viewing area.

I am leaning towards an RSF Onyx 2 with a blower, fresh air intake, new chimney.

Doing this will cost me some bucks. That is why I haven't pulled the plug.

Looking for ideas/suggestions from you from modifying existing fireplace for better efficiency, to an insert that will fit that has large viewing area and does not protrude into the home much, to replacing the fireplace. Obviously the less money, the better.

One local guy talked me out of replacing the unit. He said I would run myself out of the basement. We spend a lot of time down there. It is primary room for watching tv and visiting.

I will post pics and dimensions soon.

I look forward to your advice.

Welcome. Do you know the make and model of your current ZC fireplace? There should be a mfg. label on the inside of the door frame.

If the stairway from the basement level is wide and open to the next level the heat will convect pretty well. With the right choice of heater you may be able to duct output to the higher levels and stop using the hvac blower. That will save some money with the electric bill and reduce wear and tear on the air handler.

Welcome. Do you know the make and model of your current ZC fireplace? There should be a mfg. label on the inside of the door frame.

If the stairway from the basement level is wide and open to the next level the heat will convect pretty well. With the right choice of heater you may be able to duct output to the higher levels and stop using the hvac blower. That will save some money with the electric bill and reduce wear and tear on the air handler.

I found a UL tag on the upper right side of the fire box. It is barely readable. Appears serial # D-610326. Tag covers several models. I could only read one. Model 1288. Not able to see a manufacturer name. Here are some pics.
image.jpg

Inside of firebox.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some dimensions.

Brick opening is 54 3/4" wide x 28" tall
Firebox opening is 32 1/2" x 22"
From door edge to back fins is 15 1/2" but to actual back of firebox is 23".
Back width in front of fins is 23 1/2".

I haven't been able to ID the fireplace but I think the ZC unit is possilbly too old to qualify for an insert. You could check with you local dealers to see what they think. If so the next option would be to put a freestanding stove on a hearth, but that will project a good distance in front of the fireplace and will need a hearth extension. If none of the above, the Onyx2 looks like a reasonable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.