UPS Backup Run Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same ups....see pics for run time...both numbers are when the auger is turning. When the auger is not turning it jumps to 52min.

2012-11-21_19-15-45_828.jpg 2012-11-21_19-16-48_71.jpg

Running with fan on high I only draw something like 178 watts max. With that I get about 30 minutes. I would not think that your stove would draw that many watts continuously.

Thanks for the pics

I have the 1500 model of that, and i can get 117 with no aurger turn, 78 with aurger turn on the display. So, probably somewhere around 90 min? This is on a medium setting, and of course running (no start up... start up is good for about 12 min)

Keep in mind, running a UPS down to a "empty" is real hard on the batteries, ideally batteries work bes when they are only run down to 80% of charge, when you run them into the ground so they wont put out any more power, its cuts the number of charge disharge cycles down by at least a factor of 10 or even more.

Hows that ups on battery?, i had one similar and it made my motors hum, didnt last more than 5 mins running,returned it

I have been thinking of getting one. One question is what happens after you deplete the battery, Do you need to let it recharge before you can run what ever is connected to it?

I also want to add a relay into the stat circuit to tell the unit to go into low fire and then shutdown within 30 minutes. Should be a plus for me. I have my house all set to go with a whole house genny(just need the genny now-wifey said after xmas we will purchase one). The a UPS so I can run what ever including the stove. The wood eater will be my main source while power is out, But being able to run the pellet eater to get some heat upstairs would be nice!

All this talk of AHBL day has us thinking we need to be prepared! Not to mention 12/20/2012. ;em

I've tried to get a buddy of mine who's good with electronics to build something like that. Seeing as they have a usb port that sends out a voltage update to shut down a computer, it should be simple to use that voltage to break the thermostat circuit and put it into shutdown mode as well. He said it was too hard without some sort of pc interface :/

If the batteries are dead, it will still bypass excess power to the batteries, while pushing clean street power to the unit. It's actually what made me scrap my pure sine genny purchase. It looks like this will be enough to get away with a cheaper higher wattage modified unit. And anything that gives me a hard time, i'll just put one of these ups's on, or move them around the house as needed. I'm still a ways off from getting the whole house system connected. So for now, a simple hook up with an extention cord will do

Attachments

• ups.png
    ups.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 147
the AVR is not an invertor, but it does pretty much the same thing

AUTOMATIC VOLTAGE REGULATOR
The CP1350PFCLCD/CP1500PFCLCD stabilizes inconsistent utility power voltage to nominal levels that are safe for equipment. Inconsistent
incoming utility power may be damaging to important data files and hardware, but with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), damaging voltage
levels are corrected to safe levels. AVR automatically increases low utility power and decreases high utility power to a consistent and safe
110/120 volts. If incoming utility voltage drops below 90 volts, or exceeds 140 volts the units automatically switch to battery back-up power.

more: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/user-manuals/cp1350pfclcd-cp1500pfclcd-UM-092010.pdf

I was thinking a simple 120V relay power off house current. When the house current is out the relay would just open up its contacts. That should break the stat connection and send the stove into low fire mode. I hope it works. I suppose you could use a 12 or 24v relay and a simple wall wort to power the relay. Still will drop out once house current is lost.

it is simple to make a relay circuit to open up t-stat power but you need a holding contact to keep it from going back on. Could be different set ups for different stoves. In my case I would like to put stove in shutdown mode. Relay power should be same circuit as stove. UPS backup is a must in that case. I like the idea, I'll have to work on this over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.