US STOVE 5502M Woes - OAK install help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmycharger

Dec 31, 2013
MA
Has anyone installed a fresh air kit in a US STOVE 5502M? This thing has been a nightmare the last month. It worked fine for about a week, maybe 8hrs of use. Its in a finished detached garage. 3 inch vent going right outside to the T, then straight up about 4 feet. It stopped running, giving me Err 3 and Err 2 codes. I got it to kick on after about 15 minutes, but lately it doesn't even kick on, the fire goes out and I get an Err 3. I tried 2 different kind of pellets, typical Home Depot /hardware store stuff. I dis assembled the auger, vacuumed all the dust, and its definitely turning and dropping pellets. I did the initial test that's in the manual and everything does like it should except for the draft fan. It just blinks and never turns on, unless I open the door, and the fan kicks on and the light goes solid. No idea what that means. I called US stove and they told me to install a fresh air kit because its in a garage. (why did it work for a few weeks then stop, makes no sense). she told me that people install these stoves and they run incorrectly for months and its a mystery. Great. So I bought the kit, 69 FAK. and what she told me and what the instructions say don't match up to this stove. I don't see a cap that I have to drill holes in, I have a solid pipe that goes from the firebox area right out the back. Do I just attach the hose to that and go outside?

The stove manual page 24 has the wiring diagram. Follow and check connections on the lines from the microswitch (for the door?) to the auger and exhaust blower (power disconnected). Something odd going on if the blower is coming only when you open the door. You may want to try the search option at the top of the page using your stove model or just US stove. Problems may have cropped up with other owners.

Fresh air inlet position shown on page 12. The cap (hood) the rep may have been referring to is for the exterior end of the OAK (outside air kit).

Let us know how you make out...

Thanks for the replies, Im going to install it today and we will see how I make out. Just to be clear, I was referring to the glass door, is there a microswitch there too? I saw one on the hopper door. Ill check out the wiring diagram.

Mine has two safety switches - one on the door, one on the hopper. The diagram seems to only shows the one on the hopper then. But the door must be connected if blower kicks in when you open it.

Saw you on the other thread, may want to consider the same solution. If you go this route, Englander Stoves seem to be more reliable for close to the same price point if you look at the factory refurbished. stoveguy2esw, Mike, is the man when it comes to troubleshooting them. They don't have the same capacity for pellets but have seen Mike refer to a hopper extension...
http://www.amfmenergy.com/manufacturer-refurbished-stoves.html

Side note - since it's in a garage, is it installed 18" off the floor? Building code and insurance companies require this to avoid sucking in vapours from gas, etc. Not sure if the OAK gets you around that requirement...

Status
Not open for further replies.