us stove 6100 cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caledoniacars

Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2009
Michigan
anyone have a good idea how to clean the upper baffle on a us stove 6100? i've heard of people taking the baffle out, but then breaking the bolts off. i usually run the vac over it with a soft brush. when i tap on the baffle i still get ash falling, so i know there's more there. i just hate to tear the whole thing apart at the start of the heating season just in case i screw something up. thanks!!

IMO it is better to remove the baffle. Only way to thoroughly clean it and behind it. Once you get the baffle out use a high temp never seize compound on the bolt threads. This will reduce the chances of breakage. If the bolt does break. You could carefully drill it out with an undersized bit and retape the threads. Add new anti seized bolts and your good to go. I would also take the bolts out every now and then and reapply some never seize to the threads.

Hope this helps
jay

i was afraid you'd say that. it's just one of those jobs you know you should do, but just hate doing! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.