US Stove American Harvester noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbean1025

Mar 21, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
I have a Harmon XXV in one side of the house and a US Stove American Harvester in the other (bad, bad, bad idea to have both these stoves in the same house, not fair for the US Stove). I know that the Harmon is a very quite stove but the US Stove has a periodical "mone" sound that I can't put my finger on. It is not constant and not high pitched. When the stove is running, what would only turn periodically other than the auger to cause the sound? Any thoughts?

PDK9 said:
I have a Harmon XXV in one side of the house and a US Stove American Harvester in the other (bad, bad, bad idea to have both these stoves in the same house, not fair for the US Stove). I know that the Harmon is a very quite stove but the US Stove has a periodical "mone" sound that I can't put my finger on. It is not constant and not high pitched. When the stove is running, what would only turn periodically other than the auger to cause the sound? Any thoughts?

I think the harvester has an agitator in the burn pot. It runs intermittant. Its chain driven. Chain may need lube? The bushings it is guided by may need lube. Could just have some ash in the bushings. Shut the stove off and unplug the motor wires and tape them. Run the stove for a while and see if thats it.

jay

PDK9 said:

Just out of curiosity , how about telling us what you think about the US stove regarding it`s overall operation and anything else you might want to add.

The US Stove is a pretty basic stove (no tstat, no auto ignite)
NOISE: the stove in general is pretty loud; the air coming through the top of the stove sounds like a turbine hissing and the auger motor is clearly heard when it turns on and off (not overly loud, just obviously heard); there is not much room in the burn pot for the agitator so if you don't scrape it regularly the agitator will hang up on the burn pot, lift it and then allow it to bang back down (cleaning issue not stove problem);

APPEARANCE: you can get it with a trim package but mine is plain, flat black; looks good in a rustic living room but probably not great in a formal area

The stove puts out a good amount of heat; currently in an addition that is 24x36 separted into 3 rooms with 10' ceilings

One side note is that the stove is advertised as a 60 lbs hopper but only one bag will fit, maybe all my bags are 60 instead of 40 lbs!!!!!

Overall, I think the stove would be better in an area that you don't spend a lot of time in due to the overall noise

$1200 paid, I am a little concerned that I already have a few problems not yet through one burning season but for the money not bad

The noise seems to be coming from the exhaust motor and is now pretty constant. I took the motor off today and cleaned the fan very well but the noise is still there. Any ideas?????

PDK9 said:
The noise seems to be coming from the exhaust motor and is now pretty constant. I took the motor off today and cleaned the fan very well but the noise is still there. Any ideas?????

See if it has lube ports. Use some 3 and 1 oil. It will quite down.

jay

Attachments

• blower lube.jpg
    blower lube.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 251
PDK9 said:
The US Stove is a pretty basic stove (no tstat, no auto ignite)
NOISE: the stove in general is pretty loud; the air coming through the top of the stove sounds like a turbine hissing and the auger motor is clearly heard when it turns on and off (not overly loud, just obviously heard); there is not much room in the burn pot for the agitator so if you don't scrape it regularly the agitator will hang up on the burn pot, lift it and then allow it to bang back down (cleaning issue not stove problem);

APPEARANCE: you can get it with a trim package but mine is plain, flat black; looks good in a rustic living room but probably not great in a formal area

The stove puts out a good amount of heat; currently in an addition that is 24x36 separted into 3 rooms with 10' ceilings

One side note is that the stove is advertised as a 60 lbs hopper but only one bag will fit, maybe all my bags are 60 instead of 40 lbs!!!!!

Overall, I think the stove would be better in an area that you don't spend a lot of time in due to the overall noise

$1200 paid, I am a little concerned that I already have a few problems not yet through one burning season but for the money not bad

Thanks PDK9.
FWIW, Your description of the US stove sounds exactly like my Harman P38 and maybe like many others too since it`s plain, flat black , and with a utilitarian look. No extra trim package on mine either. Throws a lot of heat (when fed a lot of pellets) Don`t they all? Mine only Holds only 50 lbs too and auger can also be heard turning . I have to turn the TV up cause the blower isn`t all that quiet . I think my little Harman sells for approx $2100 now so your $1200 US stove might be a bargain.

PDK9 said:

That moaning sound seems familiar but I definitely can't post my thoughts here!

No accessible oil holes anywhere. The motor actually has a sticker that says sealed bearings, permanently oiled. I am pretty sure the issue is going to be with the combustion motor (I think I called it the exhaust motor before). Either the fan itself is out of balance or the bearings in the sealed motor are bad. I will call US Stove and get a new one under warranty.

jtakeman said:
PDK9 said:

See if it has lube ports. Use some 3 and 1 oil. It will quite down.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.