Use chimney built for wood stove for other type of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

agonyzhou

Nov 29, 2019
Maryland
Among wood stove, pellet stove and gas stove I think the wood stove is the most demanding on the chimney. If I installed a 6 inch double wall pre-fab chimney with a wood stove, how hard is it to convert the system to pellet or gas, if a few years later I changed my mind?

Among wood stove, pellet stove and gas stove I think the wood stove is the most demanding on the chimney. If I installed a 6 inch double wall pre-fab chimney with a wood stove, how hard is it to convert the system to pellet or gas, if a few years later I changed my mind?
It depends upon many things but most pellet or gas stoves will work ok in a 6" insulated chimney. One thing to watch is the alloy of the inner wall. Gas will need 316

It depends upon many things but most pellet or gas stoves will work ok in a 6" insulated chimney. One thing to watch is the alloy of the inner wall. Gas will need 316

Thanks, so if I make sure the alloy is correct, I can switch to a direct vent gas stove, using existing chimney, with minimum work?