Use Uhaul truck to transport 2 cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Why not rent a uhual truck and therm go rent a dump trailer?

What makes sense, to me anyway, is to own a utility trailer that can be used for transporting lawn tractors to and from the shop, bringing home a new refrigerator, moving furniture for friends and family, hauling firewood, going to the dump, trips to the lumber yard and landscape center to name a few uses. Maintained, they will last your lifetime.
I agree but for a once off it's cheaper to rent a uhaul and get the wood. I've actually been looking for a trailer for all the things you mention but they ain't cheap.

That 6k limit is very conservative, that truck can hold 8k+ easy without riding on the stops.

Just start braking early, and take turns easy. You'll be fine.

Why not rent a uhual truck and therm go rent a dump trailer?

To be honest, I've never driven a truck with a trailer, and I would be a little nervous driving a truck and trailer loaded to the gills for my very first time. Otherwise, I would go this route. I have driven a loaded Uhaul many times.

I’m pretty sure if you rent the 15 footer from U-Haul, or an equivalent, you will be just fine. There is plenty of room for two cords (which will be just over 250 cu ft). That will only fill the truck up less than half way. All your weight will be low, and in no way will your load get top heavy. The truck will handle that weight. I worked for a moving company nearly every summer from 16-26 years old. On a 16 footer, we would regularly load 6,000-8,000 pounds of furniture. And that was floor to ceiling. I see no issues with the load you are talking about.

Here is a screen shot from the U-Haul website and the link (which I’m guessing you have already looked at).
IMG_5927.JPG

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/15ft-Moving-Truck-Rental/DC/
I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: illini81
To be honest, I've never driven a truck with a trailer, and I would be a little nervous driving a truck and trailer loaded to the gills for my very first time. Otherwise, I would go this route. I have driven a loaded Uhaul many times.
I can understand the reluctance...and I would only only load the trailer...you just slow everything down when pulling a trailer...I have a 14K tandem dump with 3ft sides that holds a cord and a half...sure is nice hauling that much at a time.

I can understand the reluctance...and I would only only load the trailer...you just slow everything down when pulling a trailer...I have a 14K tandem dump with 3ft sides that holds a cord and a half...sure is nice hauling that much at a time.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get comfortable with a trailer eventually. But since I'm totally inexperienced with it, it just feels like a big jump for this rush job.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get comfortable with a trailer eventually. But since I'm totally inexperienced with it, it just feels like a big jump for this rush job.
Are you originally from the Land of Lincoln?

Are you originally from the Land of Lincoln?

Yessir. Born and raised in Wheaton. Both sides of my extended family are from Champaign/Urbana.

My parents moved to Upland, Indiana while I was in college, which is where I met my wife. Where are you at in Indiana?

Yessir. Born and raised in Wheaton. Both sides of my extended family are from Champaign/Urbana.

My parents moved to Upland, Indiana while I was in college, which is where I met my wife. Where are you at in Indiana?
Born in Decatur and raised in Charleston Illinois moved to Indiana in 1989...I am 25 miles southwest of Lafayette Indiana and 64 mile from Champaign/Urbana...if you were still there I would haul that for you!

You won't hurt that truck one bit by putting 7000 # (even 8) in it...go get your wood!

Born in Decatur and raised in Charleston Illinois moved to Indiana in 1989...I am 25 miles southwest of Lafayette Indiana and 64 mile from Champaign/Urbana...if you were still there I would haul that for you!

Thanks for the kindness. There’s a good chance we may end up back in Indiana in a few years. Possibly in West Lafayette. If so, I’ll be starting all over on wood hoarding… so I may come find you!

Thanks for the kindness. There’s a good chance we may end up back in Indiana in a few years. Possibly in West Lafayette. If so, I’ll be starting all over on wood hoarding… so I may come find you!
Well... if you do move to West Lafayette you will not have to go very far to find me as I work in West Lafayette!

Funny I am in a similar situation. I have 4 or 5 cords at my dads house from when I had my landscape business. I moved about 6 cords to my house before I sold my truck and dump trailer. I already started a new job and driving a f250 wasn’t making sense.

I’ve been wanting to move it and have plenty of friends with trucks and trailers, but I think I am going to rent a Uhaul, and here is why.
A ramp! This will also be helpful for you if you can’t get close access with a truck or trailer.
My pet peeve with wood is handling it more than necessary. My dump trailer I would throw in the wood, dump it, or try to unload it from the trailer, pick it up and restack it.
The idea of loading a wheel barrow and running it up and down a ramp to my piles sounds better to me.

I also thought i could use a few pallets strapped to the wall to keep it upright during transport.

The truck can handle it, gvwrs are necessary but also sometimes a joke. My first f250 had the same suspension as a f350, had a gvwr or 8800lbs I think, and the truck weighed 6600. I routinely had that thing loaded with a 8ft sander and 2 yards of sand, and a 9ft v plow and didn’t even come close to really overloading the truck.

The newer trucks have crazy weight ratings now, my 2016 was like 3600lbs I think.

Keep an eye on it and the tires, if you think it’s too heavy just make two trips. I’m sure the sellers will appreciate you getting it done in 2 trips than 6

Reactions: drz1050
If you have a CDL, you can rent a 26 foot flatbed with a moffett (truck mounted forklift) from Pennske. Palletize the 6 cords, toss 'em on with the moffett, take 'em off with the moffett. No restacking!

Reactions: brenndatomu
kinda doubt he would if hes talking about never hauling a trailer. ive grown up with campers and such and have half a dozen trailers now, each one has a purpose. were i used to work i drove a 550 crew longbed dump everyday and most of the time i had some kind of trailer on it. there is nothing to it but too practice. if you rent a trailer and borrow a truck, they are pretty high these days and the trailers that have the ramp that sticks up so you can see where the end is are the best. the low ones you cant see over the gate. going forward is no different than driving just a truck. just backing up takes some practice just have to go slow and plan your route so its easy.
i would rather do that anyway its cheaper, and easier to get closer the pile probably than a huge truck. i wouldnt let a huge truck off my driveway

There is another option...I have a local guy here who has several tri-axels...before I got my dump trailer I had him haul several loads of gravel for me...$150 a load for 22 ton...might be worth checking out. Know any farmers with a grain truck?

Just figured I'd jump back into this thread. I rented a 6x12 ramp back utility trailer from uhaul for less than $40 yesterday. It was well built and had a double axle. It could easily handle a couple cords of wood.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a uhaul! That's my $0.02!
OP, did you get your wood? Hope you didn't wait too long.